High latency in games

Phipsie

Reputable
Mar 13, 2017
I am sure many people have similar issues, and there is a possibility that this issue is even out of my hands. However, being a gamer, low latency is key to enjoying multiplayer games. Myself and my family are somewhat frequent internet users and when it comes to usage, my connection struggles heavily. We have a very reliable ISP and a 6mb/s speed, I know that doesn't sound like much but is it typical for the network to struggle under a light load i.e. One person in the household steaming youtube/netflix (heck even someone scrolling through facebook or instagram) rendering all online games for myself to have 200-400 m/s ping (or frequent spiking). I live in Australia, and our area is classed as somewhat 'difficult' for connecting the NBN yet the surrounding residential areas have complete access, which is very unfortunate.

Is there a chance in the world that there is a way I can boost my PC's priority when it comes to bandwidth use as so other basic internet usage does not impact my gaming or the like? My current situation entails frequent negotiation for internet use during certain times of the evening so I can enjoy playing online games worry-free.

My internet can easily handle several individuals all streaming or downloading simultaneously with fairly consistent speeds. This issue is only prominent when it comes to online games, it's as if e.g. 'a streamed video' uses 99% bandwidth to try to buffer as quickly as possible?

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
That would depend on the router. Some routers allow you to prioritize connections based on the device itself, while some routers may allow to prioritize the type of traffic. However, the specifics of that may vary from router to router.

Phipsie

Reputable
Mar 13, 2017

Could the potential to prioritise connections and traffic be found in the routers web interface?