[SOLVED] High latency issues on new computer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 1, 2019
Hi all,

I finished building my new gaming computer recently and facing serious audio (popping, crackling, stuttering) issues as soon I start a game. These issues are appearing in both, the onboard sound device and the dedicated gameDAC from Steelseries. At least the gameDAC and its headset are fine when used on another computer.

These issues are most present when a certain load is on the computer like gaming. Watching youtube videos does not show issues.

Last week I tried many (unsuccessful) fixing attemps, thats why I'm reaching out for help.

A short list of the important things done so far:

- uninstall devices, update drivers, bios, chipset, etc.

- power plan set to high performance mode

- All connections/wires checked and hardware repositioned

- uninstalled all software related to audio, just re-installed Steelseries Engine for my DAC and headset

- deactivated wifi and onboard sound in bios

- Windows, drivers, nvidia software all on their latest version

I was running latencymon while gaming, as these issues are very present then. The results can be found via this link:

Log File:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lgKKXx3VGcO7J63H3-9_anVEmmjJ4IcS

CPU:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tWruWnyJTP5x7D85CgRqRl2YKgpr0IEg

Driver:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xOUEdbo7XdBALSVgsb6ahEhQHFbKtjmp

Process:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rOaPStL88CkgMgpUek-5S9x0-KWBuoES

My computer:

• Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1903 (18362.449)
  • AMD Ryzen 3900x
  • ASUS ROG 2080 ti
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (wifi)
  • Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum (750W)
  • 2x Samsung Evo Plus M.2
  • 2x 16gb G.skill Tridenz Z Neo (@3600mhz, 16-16-16-36)

Thank you in advance for any provided help.

Solution
Yes, 1.36v is common on some boards. It's not a problem and WELL within the tolerance for voltage on DDR3.

Try this. First, make sure they are in the correct slots, A2 and B2, which are the second and fourth slots to the right of the CPU socket. Then, do a hard reset of the BIOS as follows:

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to...
D

Deleted member 217926

Fairly common with Asus boards right now actually. Not sure if it's specific to the Ryzen boards or if current gen Intel chipsets are affected as well but Asus overvolting stock settings is absolutely a problem on Ryzen.

So SOC and VDDG are likely the eqivalents of VCCIO and VCCSA I guess. I agree, overvolting of various settings to err on the side of stability, usually, is a problem. I think they lean TOO far to that side most of the time. Thanks Anort2 for helping out here and glad you got your issue sorted out Reaven.

Reactions: Reaven-X
Feb 26, 2020
I was having the very same issue until today, when I've tried almost everything above.

But I managed to make everything work (at least for me, until now):

• I manually set the voltage to 1.2v (DDR4);
  • Instead of using p2 cables, I switched to opt/spdif.
The latency now never goes above 500 μs. Yesterday I was averaging 100000 μs, so I could not play any games or watch any videos on youtube. Maybe there's something wrong with ryzen processors or asus mobos, cause I have a 3700x and an Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming too.

English is not my native language, so I tried my best. Hope I can help someone else.

Feb 26, 2020
Well, everything was fine until I had to reboot. Now the latency is horrible again and my PC is lagging and the sound is stuttering every now and then.

Can anyone help me?

D

Deleted member 217926

Well, everything was fine until I had to reboot. Now the latency is horrible again and my PC is lagging and the sound is stuttering every now and then.

Can anyone help me?
You should start a new thread. No one but the original posters in this thread are going to see what you're posting here.

Reactions: Darkbreeze