High non reasonable Latency.

Coderizer

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
Hey there!

I've been stuck with high latency for few months on every server that i connect to, I'm from middle east so i usually have high latency to EU,US servers which is normally 130ms to EU and 210ms to US, However my issue that recently my latency jumped to 180-190ms to EU and 250-260ms to US which is really annoying in online games and my ISP claims that there's literally 0 issues on their side so i'm kinda lost.

I've ran a lot of tracerts but i lack the knowledge to analyse these traceroutes so i wanted a help from experienced people to determine if the issue was on side ( that i could fix ) or it's just a bad ISP routing and i should switch to another one.

EU server tracert: ( Germany ) ( Normal ping : 120-130 / Current one : 180-190 )
http://i.imgur.com/Wk5f4w3.png

US server tracert ( US East ) ( Normal ping : 200-210 / Current one : 240-260 )
http://i.imgur.com/9SkbDac.png

Just saying but a weird thing that frequently happens which is ever time i restart my router/modem my ping changes! With every restart sometimes it goes 160, sometimes 190, sometimes 130 but in most of times it's 184 as the tracert shows, It would be really appreciated if someone could explain all these stuff i've been suffering from because i'm seriously considering changing my ISP but it would be really lame if the issue is on my side and persists even if i change my ISP.

Thanks!

Solution
Pretty much if the ping times to the first couple hops does not change then it is nothing related to your machine or even the ISP. If there was a issue in your house the latency on hop 2 would increase...maybe even hop1 if it was your router itself. Things further out are greatly dependent on how your ISP connects to other ISP.

There are tools that you can use to find out some information about which ISP are connected and where but it tends to be very tedious and smaller ISP are really tough.

In the traces you have provided it appears all the traffic goes to london to get to any ip you have been testing. If this was a tiny ISP you could just say their only connection to the world is via a single connection they bought from...

Coderizer

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014

At least someone could explain this to me : ) ?

Pretty much if the ping times to the first couple hops does not change then it is nothing related to your machine or even the ISP. If there was a issue in your house the latency on hop 2 would increase...maybe even hop1 if it was your router itself. Things further out are greatly dependent on how your ISP connects to other ISP.

There are tools that you can use to find out some information about which ISP are connected and where but it tends to be very tedious and smaller ISP are really tough.

In the traces you have provided it appears all the traffic goes to london to get to any ip you have been testing. If this was a tiny ISP you could just say their only connection to the world is via a single connection they bought from NTT in london. So a different ISP may buy a connection from different larger ISP in a different country so you might get better performance.

This is highly unlikely almost all ISP have connections to many other ISP and most have multiple connections in many cities.

A indication that this is happening is in hop13 where the latency goes from 179 DOWN to 148 and then back up to 183. Since the latency can not really drop this implies there is a different path from that particular router back to you than the routers on either side.

The problem with traceroute is it tells you the path from you to the site. The path from the site to you can be totally different and many times is because of the peering relationships between ISP.

It is extremely hard when you are looking at international connectivity which ISP to choose. The information on ISP interconnects in not secret but ISP will not bother to discuss topic like this with a home or small business users. When you are a big company they actually constantly bother you to let them come in and do presentations.

If you want to go down the path of digging you need to start by looking at the ip registration sites like ARIN or RIPE or some of the others. There are also many tools. A tool generically called looking glass is provided by many ISP that lets you run ping and traceroute from their routers. There are also sites that let you actually display the BGP ASPATH which can tell you which ISP things pass though to get to certain ip. It really depends how much you want to learn. Still you will more than likely learn that you can not do much about your situation, a home user unless he is willing to pay a lot does not have a wide selection of ISP

Solution

Coderizer

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014

Pretty much told me everything that i wanted!
I guess i'll be changing my ISP next month because i don't really think i could get to real tech that i could discuss such things with him so..
Thanks mate!!