[SOLVED] High packet loss from time to time when playing video games

penguini1987

Commendable
Nov 16, 2020
Hello, i have a problem that started happening around 2 weeks ago. Everytime i play some online video game (tested on Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Rocket League and GTA V) i get high packet loss up to 15% every 3-4 minutes. I tried many things and none of them helped. Have you guys got any idea? This problem doesnt occur with my 2 other internets, and yes im using wired cable and this problem doesnt happen on other PC in our house. It happens only on my PC and on my internet im mainly using.

I tried reinstalling the games, reconnecting the router, restarting the router, cleaning SSD, restarting windows and the whole PC and many other things, and i still didnt fix it. Any ideas?

Solution
Hello, i have a problem that started happening around 2 weeks ago. Everytime i play some online video game (tested on Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Rocket League and GTA V) i get high packet loss up to 15% every 3-4 minutes. I tried many things and none of them helped. Have you guys got any idea? This problem doesnt occur with my 2 other internets, and yes im using wired cable and this problem doesnt happen on other PC in our house. It happens only on my PC and on my internet im mainly using.

I tried reinstalling the games, reconnecting the router, restarting the router, cleaning SSD, restarting windows and the whole PC and many other things, and i still didnt fix it. Any ideas?

what network card do you have in your...

what network card do you have in your machine?
I looked a machine last week that was disconnecting while playing online games. I took a sniffer trace using microsoft
Download Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 (archive) from Official Microsoft Download Center
looked at the trace and saw a bunch of packet checksum errors. Looked into it and found it was a bug in the intel network chip on the motherboard.
there was a workaround by disabling the tcp ip checksum offloading in the network adaptor configuration settings. seems that as the packets went through the internet certain providers would pad the packets and the checksum would not be calculated correctly and the local client would keep asking for the packet to be resent. Finally the server would kill the connection and the client would crash to desktop.

seems it was a known bug for 2017 for most of the intel network chips. google intel tcpip checksum offload to get to the intel info on the problem and how to disable if you have a effected intel network card.

other things can cause this problem also. your system might limit the winsock handles
in this case you would start cmd.exe as an admin then run
netstat.exe -a -b
this will show the tcp ip address and socket handle that are being used by each binary
it is useful if you have apps running that you do not know are running and using up your tcp/ip connections.

microsoft put in a connection limit years ago in a effort to slow down malware my wifes system hits this limit when she installs apps and leaves them running in the background for months. generally the system will but a warning in the error log but something will not work until a 300 second timer expires.

Solution