[SOLVED] High packet loss when connecting to router and huge intermittent latency spikes when playing games

Ekawaa

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Hi everyone. I am currently living in a pretty crowded area with tons of internet users (there are 47 networks around me that I can connect to, with a lot more outside of my WiFi adapter's range.) My problem is that I experience huge packet loss in the connection between my router and my stationary PC, as can be seen on the attached screenshot from PingPlotter. As I am a person who plays games frequently, this results in intolerable latency spikes, and gaming online is pretty close to unbearable.

These are my specs:

• ■ Router: TP-LINK Archer C2
    ■ WiFi USB Adapter: NETGEAR A6210
    ■ I'm running a 5GHz connection, but the same thing happens when I switch over to 2,4GHz, regardless of the channel I use.
    ■ My PC is the only device connected to the router

What I've tried:

• ■ Connecting a laptop with built-in WiFi both through WiFi and cable, cable results in no packet loss, while WiFi does result in packet loss, which makes me think it's either a faulty router or huge congestion of traffic
    ■ Changing frequencies and channels
    ■ Restarting my router to factory settings
    ■ Turning off my router for longer periods of time to see if that will make it chill out somehow, but it didn't ;(

I've identified the WiFi USB adapter to not be the problem, as my laptop with a built-in WiFi, even when placed right next to the router, results in very large packet losses too, although placing it closer to the router results in a packet loss percentage of 30-35% instead of the 49% experienced when moving around 6 meters away and behind two walls from the router.

So ultimately, these are my questions:

• ■ What else can I do to pin-point the source of the issue?
    ■ Am I right to assume it's either a problem with the router or the congestion?
    ■ If it is the congestion, is there anything I can do to improve my situation?

Below, the screenshot of a ping test done in PingPlotter:
IIKeyke.png

Ekawaa

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

It was unfortunately my only choice as I wasn't able to install a PCIe adapter due to my GPU occupying the needed socket for that, using an extension was unfortunately not possible either.

Thanks for suggesting powerline, never heard of it before, will probably try it out if I don't find a solution soon. Are there any specific requirements the apartment I live in has to fulfill, in order for a powerline connection to work in it?

Ekawaa

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Thank you so much. I called the landlord and asked about the wiring as well as the circuits, and got myself some powerline adapters. They work perfectly!

TRENDING THREADS