[SOLVED] High performance gain when unlocking the laptop GPU.

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
I have noticed that Radeon RX5500m(1665Mhz) on my laptop was running cold, 65C* at medium load, 72C* and maximum load on prolonged stress. The throttle temperature of RX5500m is 88C*, the shutdown temperature is 100. I have realized this and checked the power consumption, it was between 65 and 75W. Then I checked youtube videos, benchmarks, etc, and all of the other same laptops were also restricted. According to AMD, RX5500m is supposed to run between 85 and 105W.

So, I have installed the MorePowerTool and only unlocked everything on the app, I DIDN'T OVERCLOCK from Radeon Software, just set on default and automatic.

It seems like now the GPU is in a relaxed state, drawing stable power, and it actually got undervolted by Radeon software. Now, the card is running Between 1665 and 1750mhz clock speed and drawing 65 to 90W power as it desires, and the power consumption chart is flatter, it was a zig-zag before the unlock. The temperature has only raised 2-3 at max load and I HAVE GAINED %15-20 performance. (I assume this is because of the automatic undervolt?)

When I was struggling to keep a demanding game on 32-35 fps, now I have over 40 fps stable. And the temperature increased 3-5C. So, even after unblocking, the temperature is never going beyond 75C, which is still cold considering the throttle temperature.

........... LOCKED //// UNLOCKED
iddle: 65W- 67C //// 75W - 72C Throttles at 88C
MAX : 75W- 73C* //// 85W - 75C * Throttles at 88C

Can my laptop get hurt? Why was the GPU blocked? Do you think it's actually MSI who restricts it? The battery life might have shortened but I have not tried it yet.

Last edited:
Solution
it wont hurt anything , just make sure your power brick can handle it. Can you monitor VRM temperature for example in aida64 or hwmonitor? If i unlock power limits for laptop i usually use laptop cooling pad and repaste(i do this anyway) also check gpu vram chip / vrm cooling is it adequate (disassemblying can void warranty) you can also look for exact model picks, someone opened it up for sure. Sometimes i add small heatsinks or thermal pads to for components not cooled correctly
it wont hurt anything , just make sure your power brick can handle it. Can you monitor VRM temperature for example in aida64 or hwmonitor? If i unlock power limits for laptop i usually use laptop cooling pad and repaste(i do this anyway) also check gpu vram chip / vrm cooling is it adequate (disassemblying can void warranty) you can also look for exact model picks, someone opened it up for sure. Sometimes i add small heatsinks or thermal pads to for components not cooled correctly

Solution

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020

VRAM temperature is 82C* at max load.. And there are thermal pads on them. I have repasted the laptop with the highest quality paste and the pad is arriving soon! I honestly don't know how to check if my power brick supports it, however, I have checked the review of this laptop on notebookcheck, they say that power consumption is relatively low at around 130W at the highest load possible, and with the additional stuff which I calculated roughly, It must be around 140-145W(including the unlock), not sure if this is a legit way to determine it. Could you guide me on how to check this?

Last edited:

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
You will get shuttdowns or bsods if it starts to be a problem, doubt it unless you start overclocking voltages with custom bios.
I haven't had any problems with such yet. Someone on Reddit told me that unlocking or slight overclocking might cause literally physical damage on the laptop might even cause a fire in the house. Is that true?