[SOLVED] High Performance System Running Poorly

Mar 27, 2020
A few months ago I built a computer with these specs. But it will often skip frames, lag f, or sometimes crash when gaming. The below are all my specs. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what I need to upgrade or change?

Intel Processor - Core i7-8700
GPU - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
Power Supply - Corsair rm750x
Baseboard - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC (MS-7B17)

Thank you!

Solution
As CountMike wrote, download cpu-z -zip (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) unzip it, run cpu-z 64 bits and check the memory tab to see if the RAM is set to "dual" channel. For this you will need that your 16GB of RAM are in fact 2x8GB identical sticks

Also I would download hwmonitor-zip or hwinfo portable (use the sensors only option in this case), let it run in the background, go game for 30 mins, come back open the monitor tool you used (hwinfo or hwmonitor) and check the cpu temp MAX column.
That shoudl give you an idea of how high the CPU temp gets when yoyu play those games, also in hwinfo (not sure about hwmonitor) you can check the GPU Max temp too.

Cheers

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
First issue is you have an MSI motherboard - stick with Gigabyte or to a much less extent Asus (Asus products are recommended because they give them away en masse to influencers)...

SSD or mechanical HD? Probably the single biggest upgrade is moving to an SSD.

How much memory? Should have at least 16GB

Dual 1070s are OK - probably less real perf than a single 1080TI. Alot of the time the overhead with SLI it quite high - esp with 2 lower end cards.

What resolution are you playing at? What games? What settings (Quality presets - good / ultra / etc).

Mar 27, 2020
First issue is you have an MSI motherboard - stick with Gigabyte or to a much less extent Asus (Asus products are recommended because they give them away en masse to influencers)...

SSD or mechanical HD? Probably the single biggest upgrade is moving to an SSD.

How much memory? Should have at least 16GB

Dual 1070s are OK - probably less real perf than a single 1080TI. Alot of the time the overhead with SLI it quite high - esp with 2 lower end cards.

What resolution are you playing at? What games? What settings (Quality presets - good / ultra / etc).

Thanks for the reply.
Storage - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB
Installed RAM - 16GB
I usually try to play at 1080 resolution. I notice the fast paced games like Call Of Duty and Apex Legends tend to have the most problems.

So given that info I need to upgrade my motherboard?

Thanks for the reply.
Storage - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB
Installed RAM - 16GB
I usually try to play at 1080 resolution. I notice the fast paced games like Call Of Duty and Apex Legends tend to have the most problems.

So given that info I need to upgrade my motherboard?
Check if CPU is boosting under high loads and for RAM if XMP is set to best and it's running in dual channel.

As CountMike wrote, download cpu-z -zip (https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) unzip it, run cpu-z 64 bits and check the memory tab to see if the RAM is set to "dual" channel. For this you will need that your 16GB of RAM are in fact 2x8GB identical sticks

Also I would download hwmonitor-zip or hwinfo portable (use the sensors only option in this case), let it run in the background, go game for 30 mins, come back open the monitor tool you used (hwinfo or hwmonitor) and check the cpu temp MAX column.
That shoudl give you an idea of how high the CPU temp gets when yoyu play those games, also in hwinfo (not sure about hwmonitor) you can check the GPU Max temp too.

Cheers

Reactions: RedHoodRasta
Solution
Mar 27, 2020

Cheers
Yes I have checked and it is in fact running in Dual settings. So it seems most of my settings are correct or so, but this is a bit discouraging as I switched over to PC gaming a few months ago in hopes of a better gaming experience and so far it has been pretty unstable, despite getting some pretty good gear.

Any other options? Or perhaps I get a 2070 super GPU?

Thanks for everyone's help and replies!

Yes I have checked and it is in fact running in Dual settings. So it seems most of my settings are correct or so, but this is a bit discouraging as I switched over to PC gaming a few months ago in hopes of a better gaming experience and so far it has been pretty unstable, despite getting some pretty good gear.

Any other options? Or perhaps I get a 2070 super GPU?

Thanks for everyone's help and replies!

You probably tried this already but, did you try playing with the game setting, trying disable things or lowering the detail level?