[SOLVED] High ping (100+) even though speed tests say I should be getting 30. (ethernet issues?)

Jan 6, 2019
I recently invested in an ethernet cable in hopes that my connection/ping would get better, my ping has stayed the same. I don't know why my ping is at a constant 100/ms when I am using an ethernet cable and the speed tests show I should not be getting nearly as high ping. I have restarted my pc, and router (via unplugging it), changed playing region (wus, eus, cus), as well I changed some settings on my pc in hopes change would come but none did. I would GREATLY appreciate if anyone could tell me what to do in order to lower my ping when playing multiplayer online games. I mostly play Rainbow 6 Siege, and Fortnite right now.

Solution
The only way to change the path your data takes is to buy service from a different ISP that has a better path. Most people are lucky to have 1 ISP to select from. There are some vpn that might help but it is mostly used in asia where some ISP do not have direct access to some undersea fiber and the VPN company does. Pretty much to even know that you would have to learn how you ISP connects to the rest of the world so you could even know if a VPN was a valid option.

But yes it basically is purely for your understanding why it is what it is. Unless you were very rich and could buy your own fiber connections to any ISP you can do little.
Jan 6, 2019

The rest of my family, so 3 people. But there are multiple networks, like the 2.4g, 3g, and a TPLink network that they are on, so I didn't think it would affect mine much.

Ping time is mostly related to distance. You can not compare ping times between different servers because they are likely located in different cities or even countries. Speedtest always picks the server it can find with the best ping time. The game servers unlikely in the same data centers so they will have different time. You can choose other speedtest servers in different cities and you will see you get different ping times.

Jan 6, 2019

Would you say this is why I get high ping, living in Sask. Canada and playing on US serverss

There is no way to say for sure.

If you are really interested you can run tracert and then try to figure where the routers in the path are.

The connection between ISP is not always purely technical. There are money considerations as to what ISP can directly talk to each other and where these connections are made. Not so much for cananda and the USA but even the government gets involved.....especially say in china.

Jan 6, 2019

How exactly would I run a tracert, and would it even be worth it? It seems like that wouldn't solve my issue just give me intel to why its happening. Unless I can somehow utilize that info to better my connection?

The only way to change the path your data takes is to buy service from a different ISP that has a better path. Most people are lucky to have 1 ISP to select from. There are some vpn that might help but it is mostly used in asia where some ISP do not have direct access to some undersea fiber and the VPN company does. Pretty much to even know that you would have to learn how you ISP connects to the rest of the world so you could even know if a VPN was a valid option.

But yes it basically is purely for your understanding why it is what it is. Unless you were very rich and could buy your own fiber connections to any ISP you can do little.

Solution
Jan 7, 2019
Hey ping ca.ovh.com (Quebec) and see what kind of ping you get from them since you are from Canada, i pinged them from Ohio and i am on Ethernet (200meg down and 5meg up) and i get 32 to 42ms, so if you still reaching a 100 ms, i would suggest to make sure that nobody else is connected to your router except your family of course
Try this:

if you have Notepad++ or notepad make sure you right click on the hosts file and select Administrator.

Look at your HOST file under Drive_Letter:\windows\system32\driver\etc\hosts

when you have edited the file make sure that there isn't anything below the # "Number Sign" if there is something there, then remove everything below except the #, then reboot your computer, if there was something in the hosts file, it would have been put in memory so when you were on the internet it would access the internet by somebody that is aggravating your ping. (Possibility)

Also run Malware software.

Another suggestion, is remove everybody from the router and connect your ethernet from your computer directly into the cable modem let your computer link up a new IP address or DSL or Fibre, break it down, do small steps example (you done the computer) everything seems to be working, now try (Router) hmm everything seems to be working, and finally the Modem and it turns out that the modem didn't get a profile flashed or you were getting the improper speeds. these are just examples do not take me literally though, just troubleshoot everything that you can possibility can, i know it is really frustrating, i been there bro.

Chow,
Rikor420