High Ping and Packet Loss on Laptop But Not on Other Connected Devices

micatlow99

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
I have a laptop and a Samsung Galaxy S4 mobile phone connected via wi-fi to my home network. I use a Virgin Media Superhub in modem mode and a Buffalo WHR-1166D router. The laptop and mobile phone are connected to the 5Ghz band. The laptop uses an ASUS USB AC56 wireless adaptor. I have a 100mbps connection. Both devices connect by DHCP server and I use Windows 7 Home Premium.

Virgin Media have told me everything is fine at their end, just some heavy traffic at peak times which is to be expected.

I have used www.speedtest.net to check the ping and DL UL speeds. The high ping (500+ms) and 20% packet loss started on the 2nd March 2015. Before this time, ping was 7ms and packet loss was 0% which is what it should be. I used TCP Optimizer to ping various websites, which showed me the 20% packet loss. I also used the command prompt to ping the same websites which gives me 0% packet loss so not sure what to believe. (RTT were normal, but I cnan't remember what they were off the top of my head)

Web performance is compromised - often takes a while to load pages and some don't load properly at all. However DL and UL speeds are still good.

So I checked with my mobile phone (connected to same 5GHz band) and the latency is normal - 7ms-10ms. So the ping with the laptop is bad, but good with the mobile phone.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this, if anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.

When I ping the router with my laptop everything is fine, 1ms. When I connect the laptop via ethernet cable the ping is still bad - 500ms. I am sitting in my living room 5 ft from the router.

Thanks!

micatlow99

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Thank you C12Friedman.

I connected to wifi via the onboard Intel adaptor but ping and packet loss was still high. This was connected to the 2.4GHz band as the onboard adaptor is only 802.11n.

Then I uninstalled the onboard wifi adaptor, updated my ASUS USB AC56 drivers, rebooted and connected to wifi again. Still the same.

One thing I noticed whilst using the TCPOptimizer program is that the AC56 wireless adaptor is listed three times, as follows:

ASUS USB-AC56 802.11ac Wireless Adaptor MTU 0 IP 192.168.11.2
ASUS USB-AC56 802.11ac Wireless Adaptor MTU 0 IP 192.168.11.4
ASUS USB-AC56 802.11ac Wireless Adaptor MTU 1500 IP 192.168.11.4
SAMSUNG Mobile Remote NDIS Network Adaptor MTU 0 IP 192.168.42.246

In Network Connections in Windows 7, the adaptor is only listed once, and once in Device Manager.
Maybe there is a problem as the adaptor is listed twice with the same IP address in TCPOptimizer, I don't know.

I don't even know what this Samsung thing is for really, I don't use tethering with my mobile phone so I also delete the drivers for this. However I don't know if this Samsung is a physical thing, because it's not listed on Device Manager.

Cheers.

micatlow99

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Thanks Mattmidori,

I just restarted in Safe Mode with Networking, and had a result. Ping is down to 7ms, which is what it always has been. So could be antivirus or host of other things right?

I use Avira Pro and Windows Firewall. Are their ny exceptions or settings I should check/change?
And I will search the internet for background processes (system and user) that could affect this.

Thanks.

mattmidori

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015

check windows update it migh be set to auto update,then check your anti virus update settings two,you dont need to check firewall every anti virus disables windows firewall and uses its own.

micatlow99

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
PS - I just read on another thread that a user had the same problem as me, his laptop had high ping rates but his other devices were fine. He uninstalled TCPOptimizer and it worked. I'm going to try that now.

mattmidori

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015

oook keep your drivers young and fresh! http://www.drivermax.com/

micatlow99

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Folks,

Thanks for the troubleshooting. I found out what it was. The below was in answer to another user with a similar problem on a different site- it was the web protection in Avira Pro. I should have guessed when I pinged with speedtest.net = high ping, and doing the same in Windows Command Prompt = low ping and 0% pcket loss.

I would imagine a lot of other people with Avira Pro who use www.speedtest.net might have the same problem.

"speedtests do not report accurate results when "web-protection" (webguard) is enabled.. for speedtests, you need to disable the avira program's "web-protection" (webguard)..
the avira program's "web-protection" (webguard) does not actually slow anything, at all.. to test that, find a file to download and compare the time it takes to download the file with "web-protection" both enabled and disabled.. you will see that the time that it takes to download the file is the same in both cases, because the "web-protection" does not slow anything..
the reason that speedtests do not work when "web-protection" is enabled is because all of the data that is downloaded is "cached" (similar to a "sandbox" ), so it cannot be read by the speedtests.."

Thanks Everyone.

TRENDING THREADS