Question High Ping due to Router - Low Ping on Modem Only ?

Apr 7, 2023
So I have been trying to troubleshoot my high ping. Woke up today and my game ping was high. Figured out that when I am plugged in with ethernet to modem only my ping is fine. But when I plug into the router my ping is up about 30ms. My ping to my local server is the same either way but my ping to the location of game servers about 300 m9iles away is up dramatically by 30ms when compared to just plugging into modem alone. Of course I am only using ethernet connections. I have a Nighthawk R6700v3 modem. It has always worked fine until today and I did not change anything.

Ralston18

Titan
The problem could be somewhere at or between your ISP and the game server.

Where/how are you measuring the ping?

Post the ping results that you are getting.

Run "tracert" and "pathping" via the Command Prompt targeting the game server or what ever IP address you used to get the ping measurements.

Post the results. You should be able to copy and paste the results of both commands without needing to retype everything.

Reactions: gardenfrog99

kanewolf

Titan
The problem could be somewhere at or between your ISP and the game server.

Where/how are you measuring the ping?

Post the ping results that you are getting.

Run "tracert" and "pathping" via the Command Prompt targeting the game server or what ever IP address you used to get the ping measurements.

Post the results. You should be able to copy and paste the results of both commands without needing to retype everything.
Connecting a different device to the modem gets a different IP address. If you immediately put your router back, it most-likely gets the same IP as before.
I would recommend recording your WAN address, then powering OFF your router and modem when you go to bed. When you get up power up the modem then connect the router and power up. Check your WAN IP. If it is different, then check your performance.

Reactions: gardenfrog99
Apr 7, 2023
The situation seems impossible. Essentially I am just using speedtest and running different options for portland where the game server is. All come back at 52ms. Before yesterday these would come back like 25ms. I went and bought a new router to see if this helped and it did temporarily. My game ping was back to 25ms and the speedtest was at 21ms. Then I played a few rounds of fortnite and for no apparent reason my ping in game went up to 50ms again. However my speedtest to portland remained 20. But after a bit my speedtest to portland went back up to 52 as well and has stayed there despite multiple resets and factory resets of both modem and router. My next step is to replace the modem and see if this helps. I will also try your method of leaving the modem off over night. Also, when I connect directly to the modem now my game ping is still 50ms but my speedtest ping is at 20ms. So I am not sure if the speedtest will just change again with modem only as it did with the new router. So who knows at this point. I have no clue why for like 20 minutes my ping was low in game when I first connected the new router. Just does not make much logical sense. I can replace the modem for free so maybe that will halp...thank you for your time.