High ping in games

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
Hi,i habe a desktop with ethrnet connection, iv been playing a lot of games like lol and mw3 with a ping of 110 ms on win 7..when i updated it to win 10 the game works pretty well at beginning and then the ping sharply increase to 300-400 ms and then decrease in cycles (iv monitored the modem and it was in both cases working)and when i see my internet status the airplane icon appear and sometimes when i goes off the ping gets normal agian but sometimes not..plzz help
Note:my internet drivers are up todate and my win is not activated
COULD the modem be the reason since iv notices yesterday that it shuts down sometimes and then reboot

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Could be many variables here. I would run some speed tests and see what you get, try speedtest.net. I would also do a ping command, ping -t www.google.com. and let it run for about half hour and see how many time outs you get....Look for a pattern, if there is one.

I'm skeptical to say its the modem right now because only one device is having problems that we know of. Do you have other devices on the network that are experiencing problems? TVs, phones, tablets, consoles? If yes, how many devices are connected to your network? what kind of speeds are you suppose to be getting vs what you are getting? What time of day does the ping increase? is it during high peak hours? How old is the Ethernet cable you are using? Is the cable damaged or pinched anywhere? start from one point and isolate the problem. Start at the PC and do all the obvious stuff first.

The airplane icon is a odd thing to come up when having these problems, the airplane mode would kick you off your game instead of getting high ping. However, may not hurt to uninstall the drivers to your nic and reinstall them.
Have you installed any other new programs when you updated to windows 10?

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Not really sure how much people will be able to help if your not willing to share results or common information.
Not asking for IP addresses or anything sensitive.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
If you are getting high pings in the 100+'s these are the only things that come to mind, 1: you have multiple NAT's somewhere, this happens if you say, have more than 1 routers and you plug them in (router 1 lan port) ---> (router 2 WAN port). 2: infected PC that is routing it's traffic through china. 3: VPN or Proxy service. 4: your ISP sucks. 5: the server you are testing against is in another country. As mentioned above, I would do a (windows key + R) then type in "CMD" then when the black window pops up type in "ping -t 8.8.8.8" let it run for an hour or so then post the results here.

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015

sry man rlly yes my phone's internet sometimes go slow,its only my phone and the pc,when everything is alright i get according to ookla(39 ms ping17 mb downloadand 0.4 upload )for this i get 110 ms in almost all game(mw3 lol tf2..),i dont know exactly when..i didnt figure out a pattern yet..iv bought 3 ethernet cables and the problem still persist.The first cable i was using was pinched when the problem occurred,for that i bought 3 other ones

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015

Thx man but i think the problem is with 2 or 3 can u give more info about them and how to solve each one.when i made the ping test it was some how cts at 75 ms.

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Its alright no worries, well your internet speeds are decent 39ms is great. 17mb down and 0.4 up is..well...theres better..
Most of the time there really isn't a pattern but having a pattern would tell you when to keep a eye out for it and source it that way bc you would know its coming.
that's good you got the pinched cable out of there and replaced.

I agree with problematiq though, do you have more than 1 router on your network? like a wifi router + the internet providers modem/router??

the infected PC things is a big possibility, especially if you do internet browsing on that PC. Do you have a good Anti-virus with real time protection? (Windows Defender doesn't really count, although defender is good up to a certain point).
I would download and run "Malewarebytes", they have a free version that's pretty decent.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Ok in that case do this, hit (windowskey + R) and type in "cmd" then type in the black box "tracert 8.8.8.8" then post the results but make sure you don't include the first 2 hops as that's a no no for security.

mhmd shoumar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD i have 1.7 mb not 17 i forgot the .
As for the antivirus i downloaded malwarebutes before and made a full scan and removed all threats and other viruses but the problem persisted and no i have only one routed which is tp link
for now the internet and ping are pretty well

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

1.7 is not so good. but ADSL should have low latency. your ping to google (8.8.8.8) should be around 60-80 MS and you said it was 75, I'm thinking it's your ISP at this point.