Question High ping in online games on a good internet connection.

Jun 28, 2019
Recently, I have been having incredibly high ping in online games (>1000) even though my internet connection is very good, as I can easily stream high quality video (1440p 60fps) and using google's internet speed test, it reports >50Mbps on average. I've reset my router and computer multiple times each, which has not helped, and this problem has persisted for multiple days. What might be causing this?

My router is a TL - WR841N
Using a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 wifi card
Specs
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 3.60GHz
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Motherboard
ASRock Z370M Pro4
Graphics
8192MB ATI Radeon RX 480 Graphics (ATI)

Jun 28, 2019
What reports 50Mbps on average?
What are the results for upload and download?
50Mbps (Megabits) is like 5 Megabytes per second.

In short internet acts as ping pong. As you max out upload your ping will get worser. That would require you an balancer to give "Breathing" room to your online games response for ping.
As I said, I used google's internet speed test, first thing that comes up when one searches internet speed test. Just testing it again now I got 61.7 Mbps download and 4.82 Mbps upload.

As I understand it, this is a perfectly fine ratio for download and upload.

Have you tried lower streaming settings such as 1080P 30fps? I think personally you're upload rate is maxing out.
You can monitor that via Hwinfo64 on bottom (Scroll to bottom)
image.png

I really do not know what are requirements for Download and Upload of the specific, Ill take youtube as example, 720P video would be almost maxing out 500KB/s (aka 5Mbps).

PS. I might be wrong since I mix sometimes.

Jun 28, 2019
Have you tried lower streaming settings such as 1080P 30fps? I think personally you're upload rate is maxing out.
You can monitor that via Hwinfo64 on bottom (Scroll to bottom)
image.png

I really do not know what are requirements for Download and Upload of the specific, Ill take youtube as example, 720P video would be almost maxing out 500KB/s (aka 5Mbps).

PS. I might be wrong since I mix sometimes.
I'm sorry, I think I worded that poorly. I have no problem watching videos in high quality, that's what I meant by streaming, so there's no problem there. The problem is whenever I am playing online games, the network is not being utilized, or at least that's my best guess for what's happening.

I took some time to use Hwinfo64, and it told me that my maximum upload/download while in a game was 30kbps and 51kbps respectively, averaging lower.

What could cause something like that?

Edit; just checked my download/upload while watching youtube, Hwinfo shows it as 1707kbps and 10kbps on average respectively. Maybe upload is the problem?

Second edit; used google's internet speed test, and Hwinfo shows max download/upload speeds of 8,900kbps and 800kbps respectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: RememberThe5th