[SOLVED] High ping in the evening

Nov 8, 2019
At about 6 pm I start getting frequent high ping spikes even if no one is using the Internet

Solution
Is this typically on one particular game, or many different games? I'm not sure that going from 30ms ping to over 1000ms ping can be attributed to an increase in normal neighborhood traffic. Perhaps, but doubtful. Everybody around me are all Comcast customers, and they are all people who use their internet at night. There are no other cable services in my area so everybody has Comcast. Many of them are gamers as well. My pin never goes over 45ms during the peak hours, up from around 11ms during the day.

Personally, I think you need to contact your service provider and explain the problem to them. It may be that they are throttling some traffic in the evening or that there is a bottleneck in the line somewhere for your district that...
Are you on cable, DSL, satellite, what?

What kind of ping are you seeing in the day and how is it different at night?

Unolocogringo is probably spot on that it's the fact that at night everybody is home and they are browsing, gaming, streaming, etc., just like you. Especially if you are on cable and do not have a dedicated unshared line. If you have other people at your house that are using your own connection at night too, that probably makes it even worse. Also, people in OTHER places are accessing those game servers at night as well, and server congestion probably also adds to the mix.

Nov 8, 2019
Are you on cable, DSL, satellite, what?

What kind of ping are you seeing in the day and how is it different at night?

Unolocogringo is probably spot on that it's the fact that at night everybody is home and they are browsing, gaming, streaming, etc., just like you. Especially if you are on cable and do not have a dedicated unshared line. If you have other people at your house that are using your own connection at night too, that probably makes it even worse. Also, people in OTHER places are accessing those game servers at night as well, and server congestion probably also adds to the mix.
I'm on cable. In the day time I get 20-30 ping and after 6 pm I start getting ping spikes up to 1000 ping. On weekends it starts even earlier.

Is this typically on one particular game, or many different games? I'm not sure that going from 30ms ping to over 1000ms ping can be attributed to an increase in normal neighborhood traffic. Perhaps, but doubtful. Everybody around me are all Comcast customers, and they are all people who use their internet at night. There are no other cable services in my area so everybody has Comcast. Many of them are gamers as well. My pin never goes over 45ms during the peak hours, up from around 11ms during the day.

Personally, I think you need to contact your service provider and explain the problem to them. It may be that they are throttling some traffic in the evening or that there is a bottleneck in the line somewhere for your district that they need to upgrade. Or line quality issues somewhere that don't become apparent until there are enough people on at once. 1000ms ping can't be normal unless it's due to the server being flooded or something with the service itself I wouldn't think. Not unless your router or modem have the ability to discourage during certain hours or your ISP is trying to discourage during certain hours due to usage.

Solution