[SOLVED] High Ping on specific games

doublescoot123

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
I recently have a problem where I have terribly high ping on browser games such as Roblox but on steam-related games such as CS: GO and Microsoft games such as Sea Of Thieves I have a constant 20-70 ping. On Roblox, I have around 200 ping and it spikes constantly to the 600-1000 range. I am on a wired ethernet connection with a speed test result of 13 ping and 100 download and upload.

Solution
How are you getting the ping numbers from the game or are you doing actual ping. I would try a actual ping command in a CMD window to be sure it is not something with the browser itself causing the delays. In some ways it would be better if it was the browser causing it then you might be able to fix it.

The ping time to servers depends on the distance to the server and the path the data takes. You can not control any of that. You only option is to send your data to your ISP over the connection to your house. Your ISP as well as all the other ISP in the path will decide what path to take. Many times data does not take the most optimum path because of the contracts between different ISP and where they interconnect.

Your...
How are you getting the ping numbers from the game or are you doing actual ping. I would try a actual ping command in a CMD window to be sure it is not something with the browser itself causing the delays. In some ways it would be better if it was the browser causing it then you might be able to fix it.

The ping time to servers depends on the distance to the server and the path the data takes. You can not control any of that. You only option is to send your data to your ISP over the connection to your house. Your ISP as well as all the other ISP in the path will decide what path to take. Many times data does not take the most optimum path because of the contracts between different ISP and where they interconnect.

Your only option is to get a different ISP and most people can't do that. There are some so called "gamer" vpn services that purchase better paths to some of the data center location of the more popular games. These are very hard to say if they will be any benefit. You must have a good path between your ISP and one of these VPN companies, if it has some bottleneck before you get on the vpn network it may not help. VPN in theory should always increase your time because of the overhead but it does help in some cases. It is mostly used in asia where not all ISP have good access to the most direct undersea fibers.

Solution

doublescoot123

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018

Your only option is to get a different ISP and most people can't do that. There are some so called "gamer" vpn services that purchase better paths to some of the data center location of the more popular games. These are very hard to say if they will be any benefit. You must have a good path between your ISP and one of these VPN companies, if it has some bottleneck before you get on the vpn network it may not help. VPN in theory should always increase your time because of the overhead but it does help in some cases. It is mostly used in asia where not all ISP have good access to the most direct undersea fibers.
Why was my ping good 1 month ago but all of a sudden it is now laggy, something has changed that is lagging it but I can't figure out. That's what I was asking, my actual ping read 30 on a cmd so I know that isn't the problem. zthe internet speed and ping has not changed one bit it is all the same as when I could play before.

If you see no problems with a actual ping commands then their is not a actual network problem. Could be microsoft updated something in the OS that is now causing the game to lag or it could be the game itself was updated.

If you do see actual ping issues you can run tracert to see the path but since you likely don't have one to compare with from before you will not know if something has changed maybe it will show what ISP the problem is in.

The path can change either because a ISP changes the path for business reasons or it could change if it move to a redundant path like if a fiber get cut and it runs on a back path.

Still none of this matters. You can do absolutely nothing if some fiber got cut and you are running on a slower backup path.

TRENDING THREADS