Question High ping on Wi-Fi problem

Teodosije

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
Hey guys,

I have ZXHN H298Q router. It began working very badly, with high ping and overall slow speed while on Wi-Fi. I'm in the same room with the router, connected via 5 GHz network. I've tried different USB network adapters, and the result is the same. Channel is set on auto, with 80 MHz band width.
I tested it with PingPlotter, and the results will be attached.
On the other hand, cable connection doesn't have these problems, so I'd like to ask if there is any setting that I'm missing, or something need to be set up differently.

Any help would be more than welcome, and thank you in advance!

CSVuUni.png

Almost impossible to say wifi has almost no ability to debug it.

Could be a neighbor is using more wifi than before or maybe they have a new router. When you run 80mhz radio channels it might be faster but it pretty much guarantees you conflict with multiple other people.

You could try to force it to 20 or 40 channels. You might get lower speedtest numbers but your latency should be more consistent.

Problem is those are just the router it does not show the actual devices. A router doing nothing is far different than a router with 100 device attached all transferring data. They both look the same on graphs like this.

Because the signal level is the same and the mac address is almost exactly the same I suspect that is your router. Hard to say what it really is.

It depends on the country you live in but channel 60 tends to not be a good one to use there are restrictions on output power and it may get interference from non wifi sources. You generally can't set that channel manually in most countries, you can only use it when the router is running auto.

The bands centered around 40 and around 150 tend to the be the ones that allow full power transmission. BUT it greatly varies based on country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

Teodosije

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
So, after messing around, I figured out what it is, I think.
Tried reinstalling AMD Adrenaline, because I found it can mess with Wi-Fi adapters. It didn't help.
BUT, I found that WLANSVC can cause some problems, and following that clue, found that when problems begin, I just need to restart WLAN AutoConfig, and it is good after that.
Anyone has an idea how to permanently solve this, or need to restart it every time?

Microsoft must have broken that again with some patch....I really hate automated updates. You are not the first to ask about this in the last couple weeks.

That problem was mostly fixed a while back. Before that people used to recommend you set the process to disable. Microsoft though has rigged it that it will restart itself even if you completely disable it. I guess there are registry hacks that can still kill it.
Turning it off does make changing any wifi settings hard.

I though it was crazy at first but now I am not so sure. If you were to get a repeater/extender and connect it to your pc via ethernet all the wifi function would be in that box out of reach of microsoft.

TRENDING THREADS