[SOLVED] High Ping , Perfectly Fine Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

classofbody

Honorable
BANNED
May 23, 2017
Hey
Recently I've been having extremely high ping in online games (Overwatch, Rocket League, Rainbow Six Siege etc..).
I tried speedtest a couple of times and in all of the tests the results were high ping and perfectly normal speeds.
I usually get 20ish ping in speedtest, but now it's not dropping bellow 300 (same servers).
My internet speeds are 15mbps download and 0.5mbps upload (I normally get 20 ping in speedtest)
I've attached my speedtest results bellow
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8605398788.png

Solution
It's usually listed as one of the QOS settings. Many routers nowadays include it since it comes standard with Linux now, which is what most routers run on. And they are definitely included in third-party router firmware such as DD-Wrt or OpenWrt.

With cable or DSL, frequently the problem is the buffers in your own modem itself staying full and AQM in the router fixes that to a ping under ~10. However Partner Communications is primarily a wireless ISP and these algorithms do not work properly on cellular or Wifi, which have their own, different problems.

As AQM was for ethernet, BQL is the open-source project for reducing latency of Wifi, hampered by the lack of open-sourced drivers for Wifi radios! Supposedly the new Wifi 6...
Are you running on wifi try ethernet to make sure it is not just a strange wifi issue.

Next run tracert to some ip like 8.8.8.8. You are trying to determine which hop first causes the issue. You may have to run it multiple times to get a consistent result since tracert does not send much traffic.

You can do little if the delay is far away from you since it might be in another ISP.

Another concern is when you have very low upload rates like you do. Game do not need a lot but they constantly use upload data. If you consume all that bandwidth your ping and some other data will have to wait. I would try to test with only 1 pc connected and make sure you are only running the game. Many external voice programs and even chat will use upload bandwidth.

classofbody

Honorable
BANNED
May 23, 2017
Are you running on wifi try ethernet to make sure it is not just a strange wifi issue.

Next run tracert to some ip like 8.8.8.8. You are trying to determine which hop first causes the issue. You may have to run it multiple times to get a consistent result since tracert does not send much traffic.

You can do little if the delay is far away from you since it might be in another ISP.

Another concern is when you have very low upload rates like you do. Game do not need a lot but they constantly use upload data. If you consume all that bandwidth your ping and some other data will have to wait. I would try to test with only 1 pc connected and make sure you are only running the game. Many external voice programs and even chat will use upload bandwidth.
Sorry for the late response, I'm using ethernet.
I ran the tracert 3 times 8.8.8.8 (Google dns) and the ping is 300-360 ms.
Even though the upload speed is low i used to get stable 90ish ping in all games, and I made sure that no apps are running besides the games themselves, yet I still have high ping for some reason

What you are seeing is bufferbloat. Essentially, RAM got so cheap that too many devices in the chain are caching packets so that none are ever lost--making all the packets you are receiving hundreds of milliseconds old.

The solution is to toggle on an AQM algorithm in your router such as codel, PIE or CAKE. Somewhat counterintuitively, these work by throwing away packets--those few need to get retransmitted so are delayed, but the vast majority of packets are quick because the buffers stay empty.

classofbody

Honorable
BANNED
May 23, 2017
What you are seeing is bufferbloat. Essentially, RAM got so cheap that too many devices in the chain are caching packets so that none are ever lost--making all the packets you are receiving hundreds of milliseconds old.

The solution is to toggle on an AQM algorithm in your router such as codel, PIE or CAKE. Somewhat counterintuitively, these work by throwing away packets--those few need to get retransmitted so are delayed, but the vast majority of packets are quick because the buffers stay empty.
How am I supposed to toggle on an AQM algorithm? I've never heard of such thing.

Where do you see the increase in the ping times in your trace. You are most concerned with hop 1 and hop 2

Your router likely does not have that option only a small number do. Bufferbloat is just another symptom of a overloaded connection. You generally will see the delays in hop 2 if you have overload.

Your first goal is to determine if you are actually overloading your connection. The simplest way is to disable the wifi on the router only plug in your 1 pc that runs the game and make sure nothing other than the game is running. I would disable even stuff like discord or any other form of VoIP software.

You goal is to try to determine what else in your house is using the internet that is affecting the game.

What you do about the problem is going to depend on what is causing it and if that traffic is more or less important than your game traffic. This tends to not be a technical issue it is more about who has ultimate say on internet usage.

If you can use any technical tricks to help depend on what exactly is causing the issue.

In your case you have very low upload rates. The game will pretty much use all of that but that may or may not be your issue.

It's usually listed as one of the QOS settings. Many routers nowadays include it since it comes standard with Linux now, which is what most routers run on. And they are definitely included in third-party router firmware such as DD-Wrt or OpenWrt.

With cable or DSL, frequently the problem is the buffers in your own modem itself staying full and AQM in the router fixes that to a ping under ~10. However Partner Communications is primarily a wireless ISP and these algorithms do not work properly on cellular or Wifi, which have their own, different problems.

As AQM was for ethernet, BQL is the open-source project for reducing latency of Wifi, hampered by the lack of open-sourced drivers for Wifi radios! Supposedly the new Wifi 6 (802.11ax) makes latency a priority--it certainly wasn't with any previous iteration of Wifi.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.