• Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

High ping problem, need some help~

Alan Wu

Reputable
May 20, 2015
I'm connected to my router by WiFi and there are about 10 devices using the WiFi at once. Right after I restart my router, ping (to 192.168.1.1) is fairly low (like 3 ms), but after a while, the router is connected to the internet and the ping (to 192.168.1.1) dramatically increases to like 700ms or higher, which is a pain. I think it is because all 10 devices are busy when there is internet. I'm thinking that this problem can be resolved by getting a better router since the one I'm using is a bad one provided by my ISP. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks guys~

hang-the-9

Titan
Yes, trying a better router can help, also you may want to look into getting an access point that is connected to the router by Ethernet and setting up a different WiFi channel on that to separate the wireless devices.

Alan Wu

Reputable
May 20, 2015

Hi, thanks for your reply. I further tested it - turned out that the more devices there are, the slower it is. Unfortunately I can't have a access point that is connected to the router by Ethernet since there is no wiring at my house. Yet, I think buying a really good router can probably fix most of problems? Do you think a dual core cpu is required? I need VoIP because ISP requires it, but most high-end router don't support that. I found a router NetComm NF4V, which support VoIP. Do you think this would be good enough? Thanks~

Alan Wu

Reputable
May 20, 2015
My budget is too low for a good router. I think I just try my best to get it working with NF4V. As I got some other devices as well so I can try to make use of them. I'll update this thread soon about the results.

hang-the-9

Titan

I got a used ASUS RT-N66U router for $30, you don't need to spend $200 on a high end AC router. But you do need to check with the IPS about what will work with your service.

Alan Wu

Reputable
May 20, 2015

Thank you for your reply. Hmmm, I never thought that you can get this one for $30. (I believe it was an high-end router a few years ago). Anyway, I already brought netcomm nf4v. Not sure how good it is comparing to the other ones.
One question: When multiple devices (like 10 devices) are connected to your ASUS RT-N66U and communicating frequently, do you get LAN latency spikes? Like, in the ping test (to router), it suddenly becomes 500ms or higher for a while, then gone back to 30ms or something after that.

If I get a high-end router, will this latency spike be solved? Apparently it only happens when there are a lot of devices, otherwise the spike is less than 1 second.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS