High ping spikes on my pc

Oct 16, 2018
Hello, I am having an issue with my ping. It started off as a thing that would happen every day, I would play games and after a while my ping would spike to 1000 for a couple seconds to a couple minutes, which I could solve by restarting my modem. After I would notice it on my pc, I would instantly starta speedtest on my phone which woulod show similar results. After a while, it started occurring more often and so I begun taking action. Here are some things I did:

1. Bought a network card
2. Got a replacement modem
3. changed DNS
4. Contacted ATT customer support
5. Turned off Norton Security
6. Scanned my PC

After I bought my new modem, the wifi was ok for a while, but now I am beginning to get spikes again and they occur quite often. Now, however, The ping spikes can move around from 100 to 1300 for a short period of time until it will go back to normal. Sometimes the spikes will last for seconds now and some can go for a long time. Now when I try speedteest, It will say my ping is 30 on my phone AND on my pc (using the speed test app). Here is my specs:

i7 7700k @ 4.20 GHz
16.0 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 1070ti 8 GB
samsung 256 GB SSD
extra 1 TB hard drive
ATT DSL INTERNET
Windows 10 x64

All comments are appreciated... Thanks!

Oct 16, 2018

How can I log into my router? Do I need to plug in an Ethernet cord or something? My pc is currently not in a position to be plugged in to my modem but I do have a laptop.

You can type the gateway ip address in the web browser and see if it works.
Each brand has a default user/pw you can find online.
192.168.1.1 is the most common gateway
In windows if you type ifconfig in the terminal it will show you.

Oct 16, 2018

Hello sorry I haven't responded in a while, I accessed my router and under the bandwidth tab, the computer says it has blocked 8080 connections since last reboot... Is this bad?

It's normal to have a lot of fw hits. It's complicated to figure out which are bad. If you're not port forwarding or anything then no inbound connections will get through.

Oct 16, 2018

So what should I do? I just checked my broadband cable and there is a bend in it,, is this bad?