High Ping to Router When Downloading

rinleezwins

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Hello everyone. I have recently noticed something strange. My computer is connected to the router through wi-fi and the router ping is a smooth 1-2ms with occasional hiccups, but whenever there is an increased traffic(I load a Youtube video for example) the ping to the router goes to 80-100 and when I download a larger file at 5000kb/s or more, the ping goes up to as high as 900. To many understanding, high bandwidth usage should increase the ping past the router, but not to the router itself? I remember not having this issue in the past, with the same router and the same computer. I could download data and keep my low ping to the router, but now I am having a hard time. Are there any particular router/network card settings that could be causing this?

This is what happens when I perform a speed test on speedtest.net I am pinging google.ie in the second window.
CHmIzCv.png

As you can see, my ping to google.ie is not actually affected by the speedtest, but by the increased latency between my computer and the router.

Wi-Fi Adapter: Netgear WNDA3100v2
Router: Cisco EPC3925

Solution
Your wireless is getting overloaded, or the router is having issues working with the traffic and is slow to respond.

I suggest doing a test with two computers, one on ethernet cable, another wireless.

Start a download or whatever on the computer with ethernet and do a ping test on the wireless system. If it's the wireless getting overloaded with traffic management, the ping will be fine when you use the ethernet cable on the computer. If it's a router issue, it will give you the same high ping as before.
Your wireless is getting overloaded, or the router is having issues working with the traffic and is slow to respond.

I suggest doing a test with two computers, one on ethernet cable, another wireless.

Start a download or whatever on the computer with ethernet and do a ping test on the wireless system. If it's the wireless getting overloaded with traffic management, the ping will be fine when you use the ethernet cable on the computer. If it's a router issue, it will give you the same high ping as before.

Solution