Question High ping

sinetyv.nr1

Prominent
Aug 29, 2018
Lately my laptop is experiencing more and more issues with ping. I would like to know if there is a way to detect where is the problem (my laptop it self, the router or the internet provider). I should also probably tell that ping occurs randomly, sometimes after boot, sometimes after an hour or two. Sometimes I loose connection completely, but it reconnects after wifi on/off, router reboot or just some time.

P.S. I can send you results of cmd (ping google.com or something else like that if that helps)

If you use a ethernet cable it will quickly show if the problem is in the wifi.

If it is in the wifi network it is very hard to figure out. I suppose you could see if it does it at say a friends house. The most common cause is interference from outside your house. There is little you can do about that. On the pc and the router you are pretty limited if they are the cause. Your options are the newest firmware for the router and the latest driers for your wifi nic card.

sinetyv.nr1

Prominent
Aug 29, 2018
If you use a ethernet cable it will quickly show if the problem is in the wifi.

If it is in the wifi network it is very hard to figure out. I suppose you could see if it does it at say a friends house. The most common cause is interference from outside your house. There is little you can do about that. On the pc and the router you are pretty limited if they are the cause. Your options are the newest firmware for the router and the latest driers for your wifi nic card.
Thanks for the answer! I will probably go to my friends house... Which is more common to fail though? Router or the laptops hardware (anthenna, wifi card etc.)?

The wifi chips in either the router or the nic card can fail it is very very rare. In most cases they completely stop working. Dual band routers have 2 radio chips and they almost never both fail at the same time. If you have issues on both radio bands it make the pc more suspect since it only has a single radio that it switches between the radio bands.

It is a matter of elimination. If you have a second device and also has problem that also means it could be the router.

Unfortunately like most electronics you can't fix things your only option is to replace them. At least it is possible even if it is a pain to replace the wifi card in a laptop. I normally do not recommend those tiny USB nic cards but you can get them for $5. It would be a good test before you go though the trouble of taking a laptop apart.