reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
well i was running at 1152 x 864 on my sony g420s monitor with 85hz refresh. but i kept hearing this high pitch sound when an internet explorer window would open up with certain backrounds. so i changed my res to the recomended one of 1280 x 1024 85hz but i still hear the high pitch sound. is it my video card (asus geforce 2 gts), or do i ahve to change some more settings on my monitor?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
There are a number of things that can cause a whiny high-pitched sound. It is almost always due to vibration of a component in the horizontal circuits, most often the flyback transformer or horizontal output transformer. A service technician should be able to find the offending component and either replace it, remount it, or add some material which will stop the vibration. The vibrating component will stop or get worse depending on the resolution / refresh rate running the component at different frequencies.

Good Luck

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
so do you recomend that i take my monitor in for service? the sony warranty place is only a few blocks from my house anyways. and maybe this high pitch coupled with that one little black dot in the upper left hand corner of my screen warrants me taking it in. the only problem is that i can't stand the thought that my monintor may end up just being replaced by a new one and my old monitor will just be thrown out or something. i have grown attached to my enw monitor and don't want it to go to waste or anything.

jim, you work at a monitor place, what do you guys do with monitors that are defective in a small way, and for that matter monitors that are defective in a big way?

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If I had a service center so close, I would run down there and have them take care of the noise, absolutely.

We do not get many monitors back, I like to attribute this to our quality levels at our factories. If for example, there is a problem with the CRT the unit is scrapped. Units with small problems are repaired and sold as refurbish, although we do not get many of these. Most of our returns are refused shipments, evaluation units from trade shows etc. These are all refurbished to factory specs as sold as refurbished.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com