high pitched noise coming from cpu area

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steimlem

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
there is a high pitched noise depending on how much activity the computer is doing (very annoying)

it's coming from the cpu area on the motherboard

any ideas what it is or how to fix it?

Solution
First off. COILS buzz(and they are in all power regulation systems psu, video card motherboard).

This does not always mean a defect.

Second, turning off power management helps since the frequency and voltage are going all over the place(the cpu voltage is adjusting constantly) with it off.

It is very hit and miss, some boards do it, others do not. It can even be a combination of a board and psu, that separately work fine

If you list your system specs, it may help.

As for a cap blowing because of this? Well I have an A64 board(K8V SE) from when they first came out. Been on nearly 24/7 for years and it never died. Yet it did this buzzing too(only at load).

My X1900XT was so loud and is still used to this day(when gaming, and the...

omegajinx

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
If I use my virus scanning software (Vipre Internet Security) the noise will go away with out causing such high CPU temps. Are there any other programs out there I use to create this small CPU usage to keep the sound gone? I've tried pulling up Windows Media Player and playing some music but that doesn't work.

omegajinx

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
So I figured out my problem. The Asus Sabertooth 990fx has an "Optimal" system type setting in the BIOS. I clicked it to see what it did and it automatically OC'd my CPU to 4.2 ghz. I thought "Wow, nice, now I don't have to mess with mulitpliers and what not." Turns out though that it doesn't adjust the the voltage correctly though which is why I was getting the high pitch noise. I didn't figure this out until I received a new motherboard from Asus and still had the same problem. Hopefully I won't get in trouble for probably having a perfectly good Motherboard to begin with.

Anyhow, I wanted to post in here about this since I see a lot of "High pitch noise" posts being put out there and maybe this will help out those who may have overlooked their voltage settings like I did. Hope this helps.

Right now, I'm running Prime95 after a manual OC to 4.0 ghz (only with the multiplier and leaving the bus speed at 200) on a AMD FX-8150 and it's running good so far. Keeping my fingers crossed but I shouldn't have any problems since it's stock max turbo is 4.2 ghz.

athalin

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Question:

If making the adjustments in the regedit as indicated in this thread and the changes to power options eliminated the fluctuating high pitch sound, does this indicate any component malfunction? If so, is it the mobo? psu? or no way to know.

I was having the same issue, but the sound was stopped with the regedit/power options solution. I ask my question because I order another psu to swap out my current psu to see if that helped.

If its the mobo, I want to cancel the order....

-thanks for this helpful thread.

wefr23

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012

Thank you so much! I was going crazy for a couple of weeks untill I found this. Thanks again!

omegajinx

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

My problem was with the mobo not the psu. The regedit option worked for me as well but I got cpu temps too high for my liking. I believe they ran on average about 46-50c where as I now have them at 36-38c.

revanbh

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Many thanks to jesdanco and nukemaster for the regedit solution. It works like a charm. My office computer has been driving me crazy since I bought i3 2100 processor. Having to work with that noise was creating many headaches. I would say it was definitely something with the processor, because when I installed an i5 from my second computer it stopped right away. Of course, that was no solution. Thanks again, guys.

tropic00

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

thank you friend; i was worried i got another pos part and you really saved me with this fix. so happy now words cannot express my gratitude!

Ande35

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

I just did this and as soon as I disabled the idle processor, my machine shut down. Now it wont load windows and I can only get into the bios. All I wanted was to stop that incessant buzzing when the processor had a load on it.

Any idea how to reverse this if I cant load windows????

Ande35

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
thanks for the quick reply. I did try to boot in safe mode earlier, to no avail. However I did figure out the issue.

The reason my computer was shutting down was because I had the protection setting at 90c. When it hit 90 it shut down. Using the series of commands above, my computer wasnt able to regulate temp, and hit 90c immediately.

To resolve the issue I removed the new video card, installed the old one. Then went into the bios and disabled my minor overclocking setting (2.8mhz to 3.1). Once I did this I was able to load windows and undo the "regedit" execution. The incessant buzzing also went away.

So for anyone else that may have trouble with a really annoying electronic buzzing coming from a random place on your mobo, it may be that your power supply isnt beefy enough for what you are tryng to run. In my case, I was over clocking an i7 2.8mhz processor to 3.1mhz. Then installed a 2g nvidia gtx560 ti (up from a 1g nvidia gtx260). I had assumed that my 750w power supply would have been fine, but the buzzing appears to have been from an elctrical component (capcitor?). When I backed off the overclocking, and kept an eye on my core temps, the buzzing went away.

The buzzing is very distinct and does NOT sound like a fan. More like a dentists drill at a slightly higher pitch. It also was only happening whenever I put a load on the processor (surfing webpages, etc...)

For some, the buzzing is worse with overclocking(my old AMD system had this).

The chances are that it is a coil buzzing. I do not think caps make noise often if ever(could be wrong though i HAVE seen them glued in place, that would assume they can make noise, but never heard one).

That said, if you hit 90c, you may need to check your cooler just in case it is not on right.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Arrrrggghh...I have the same whining; I haven't pinpointed it yet, but it exhibits the exact same characteristics as the OP's, when I have the mouse in constant movement, the sound is not there. Anyone know or can guess why moving the mouse would have any effect on the noise? I have a wireless G700 and tried moving the USB emitter to different locations, this doesn't change the noise.

That registry edit fix that has been suggested....does that make the CPU unable to drop down to idle speed/voltage? If that is the case, I'm not sure if I want to do that, as my processor would be stuck running at 4.5GHz/1.32v 24/7.

i5-2500K @4.5GHz; ASUS P8Z68-V Pro; Antec 650 Earthwatts;

If it is the capacitors or coils on the motherboard or psu making the whine, I am not inclined to tear apart my rig and try to RMA stuff just based on that. In fact, I think that sounds a little silly, and bad advice, especially if the computer is running flawlessly otherwise, I have no good reason to upset everything else. The noise is just damn annoying sometimes, but it's not even there all the time.

The registry entry does disable the idle clocks and voltage.

You can try with C1E off to see if it helps any. It fully removed the sound on my old 17 920 system.

My 2600k system for some reason does NOT lower its voltage at idle(manual voltage control's fault, offset did not work so well), but the temperatures/clock still drop. It may just be clock gating(shutting un used areas off at idle anyway.)

so if C1E fails, try a fixed voltage to see how it works for you. Just note that the cpu does not idle right after windows start, it may take a few minutes to settle down.

I too would not want to run full speed all day either.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

I played around with the manual voltage setting for overclock, but I did not like that the voltage didn't return to idle so I switched to offset method. I am running an offset of .035 volts (I think) right now with a multiplier of 45 applied; temps under 100% stress test load rarely exceed 68C, with voltage at 100% load maxing at 1.32v.

Biggs87

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
HI guys i am having the same problem as most in here,

I have

i5 2500k - Not overclocked & Stock Cooler
P8z68-v/Gen3
Windows 7 64 bit

Alot of Asus boards seems to be getting this after a few google searches.

I have narrowed it down to the power saving options. When i disable c3/c6 in the Bios then the sound stops

I also do not get the sound when i am in the Bios and while the Machine is booting up. It is only when the windows Login screen pops up it starts. Again as others has said, under load the noise stops too.

Im not to comfortable disabling the c3/c6 in the bios as it makes the cpu run at a constant 3.7ghz and makes my temps around 50C at idle and with the stock cooler.

Im not really sure what to do now, would really appreciate if anyone could give me any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.