High pitched noise issue

Glanz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
I've been having trouble with my system for some time now. I've checked everything i've been told to and I am pretty sure I have narrowed it down to my motherboard.

Before I get too in depth on it, here is my setup.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 Dual-Core Processor
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU ATX12V 600 W Power Supply

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject area.

I'm using the GIGABYTE GA-M59SLI-S5 AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX motherboard

The problem is sort of a winding, high pitched type noise. It comes and goes but changes based on whatever I am doing. For example, if I were to scroll down this page the noise would elevate it's pitch.

I've been able to live with it for a few months but today I
was capturing some audio from a vinyl record and it captured the noise with the track. So now I have a track that has this same wheezing noise in the background. It's been bearable until now but this seems like a roadblock. Is there something I can do to test the motherboard and verify that it is coming from there?

I have checked the processor, case fans, power supply fan, chipset fan, video card fan and I know for sure it is not any of those things.

Is it possible that a capacitor has gone bad and is making the noise? It seems odd that it would change it's pitch based on what task I am working on at the time.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is an example of the noise that I was able to record. You can hear me click a few times on some tabs part way into the sound file.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=ZJHEWVIYQ3ZQ

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Interference? Try reconnecting the audio, grounding the connector out when it's disconnected.
Try headphones, instead of whatever speakers? It sounds like interference rather than a piezo element/alarm.

slooney64

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I have the same problem.

I'm using onboard sound on a Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H motherboard.

I have experienced this on multiple systems over the years. It is definitely related to graphic operations, like scrolling. It's especially irritating in the confugration screens of Crysis for some reason. I don't hear it while actually playing.

It can be heard through headphones or powered speakers when the speaker volume is turned way up. Moving wires around doesn't seem to make any difference.

I think it is some kind of interference or power fluctuation on the MB itself. I haven't tried a separate sound card.

(Years later, I know. I'm just saying.)

Sloan