[SOLVED] High pitched noise when browsing, but not when a game is launched?

Apr 3, 2022
Hey there,

So I built a computer using a graphics card and powersupply from my last build(as I had upgraded/replaced those recently).

Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4
i5-12600k
32gb 3200mhz(2x16)
Samsung NVMe SSD
Gigabyte 3060ti LHR
650w Coolermaster

Anyway the issue I'm having is that when I'm browisng on chrome or just writing something in word or just any basic desktop stuff, I can hear this high pitched whine from my desktop. At first I thought it was the cooling fans or something but I've realised this is not the case.

It stops when I load a game. Even if its minimized. I can browse and enjoy the peace of no high pitched noise if I run Squad or other high demand games in the background.

However this does make my CPU/cooler work harder, so now I have to listen to fans and the pump seemingly making a little noise here and there(kinda disappointing, its brand new). The noise of the fans is not 'drowning out' the high pitched noise if thats what you are wondering but it does seem that the noise isn't completely gone, its just a lot more quiet and I can only hear it if I put my ear right up to the case.

The noise I am having trouble locate, it seems like its coming from the graphics card or somewhere around it. The fact that a game running seems to change it makes me think its related to the card. However, I had this in a 6600k, z170 rig just last week and it 100% did not make this noise, as it had no side on the case for the last month or so and was right next to me, I would have definitely noticed.

Anyone know what I can do to figure this out? Is it potentially my motherboard that is faulty or something? Something that may be related is that if I use the 3.5mm rear audio jacks I get interference and can hear a little static/whine through my headphones. I am currently having to use my front jack but its only got one so I can't use my mic at the moment until I solve that too.

Solution
OK so I found the 'solution'

Found this on reddit when searching my board specifically:

"The easiest fix for me was just turning off C1E under the C-States parent menu in the BIOS. The rest of the C-State settings can be left on Auto so at least you get the use of those. It's C1E that causes it as the CPU voltage etc throttles down when idle or in certain states of use.
I have noticed no adverse effect from turning C1E off, my power draw remains low, CPU temps remain low and overall not noticed any performance loss or gain. The buzz is just completely gone."

I disabled C1E, rebooted and the buzz has stopped completely. Interesting in the bios the tone becomes louder and becomes a constant 'beep.beep.beep' every second that stops when...
Apr 3, 2022
OK so I found the 'solution'

Found this on reddit when searching my board specifically:

"The easiest fix for me was just turning off C1E under the C-States parent menu in the BIOS. The rest of the C-State settings can be left on Auto so at least you get the use of those. It's C1E that causes it as the CPU voltage etc throttles down when idle or in certain states of use.
I have noticed no adverse effect from turning C1E off, my power draw remains low, CPU temps remain low and overall not noticed any performance loss or gain. The buzz is just completely gone."

I disabled C1E, rebooted and the buzz has stopped completely. Interesting in the bios the tone becomes louder and becomes a constant 'beep.beep.beep' every second that stops when you use arrow keys to navigate :/

Anyway, disable C1E, save and reboot and you should be good if you are having the same issue. I'll see if this has resolved the noise in my mic/headset.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS