High pitched noise

P236

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Hey,
My PC has been making the most annoying sound, a high pitched noise that seems to be coming from the area around the Ram and the CPU.
At first I thought it was the CPU but while running prime95 stressing mostly the CPU I can't hear a thing, so I assumed it was the Ram. But I already tried switching the Ram and the sound maintains, but while running MemTest the sound is even louder! And when it switches patterns in MemTest you can notice the sound changes pitch.
My specs:
Antec Nine Hundred
Asus P5k-e Wifi/ap
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600@ 3,2Ghz
Switched from Kingston 2gb ddr2 667 to 2x1gb Corsair Dominator ddr2 800 C3DF 3-4-3-9 2T 2,3V
LC power 550W
Geforce 8800 GTS 512mb
Velociraptor 300Gb

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks

modmandan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006

About the only item that could be making that high pitched noise would be your power supply. A high frequency sound will re verb off of stuff and make you think it's coming from something else. That would also explain why you hear it worse when you are stressing the system like memtest. It will pull more power when doing so.

P236

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
So, should I get a PSU with more power and test the noise?
Before, I could hear the noise constantly without any programs running, but with the hardware overclocked and stable after testing it with prime95 and MemTest, and now that I just put everything back to factory settings, without any overclocking, the noise disappeared.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it but now if I move the mouse i can hear the noise slightly.

You think that the problem is that a 550W PSU just isn't enough?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It's probably coming from a coil in the mobo voltage regulator circuitry, but it could be coming from the PSU, or even the graphics card.

I would change the mobo, but without hearing it that is just a guess.

When I say hearing it I mean localizing it's source, not the the sound itself.

P236

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I tested everything and I am now sure the noise comes from the PSU. Does this mean the problem is 100% sure to be with the PSU or could it still be related by any way to the mobo or any other component?
If it is the PSU, is there any way to fix this, or is my only option buying a new PSU?

modmandan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006

When power supplies make this noise, and I have replaced many a power supply due to this issue. It is because of a bad regulator and usually can't be fixed easily. If you know how to solder and know what regulator is failing and can find the proper part, then maybe...but I would just go get a new PSU. BTW, a 550 should be fine for your setup. If you ever plan on changing your Nvidia card and going ATI Crossfire (which your board supports) then I would think about getting a bigger unit.

P236

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I'll probably get a 750W because I know where to get one pretty cheap and at least I'll be set for any future purchases.
Thanks for the help!

P236

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I can get the NOX Pulsar 750W and the LC Power Arkangel 850W for about the same price, which would be around 110€, but I'll get a pretty good discount.
Any recommendations?If you know any better ones around this price please tell.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I've never heard of either of those. I would look for an in depth review before buying them, not just some fluff piece on how they install and how pretty they are.

I would just stick to Corsair VX550, HX series or TX series, I believe they are available in Europe.