Question High pitched sound on newly built PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2022
Recently purchased a new high end PC, unfortunately there is a constant high pitched tone that starts as soon as the PC is turned on. Applications don't seem to change the tone whether intensive or otherwise. Don't think this is coil whine as have tried undervolting and it hasn't helped. Also not entirely sure and most online seem to think its GPU related.

Sound is bad enough to give me ringing in my ears even after a few hours of being in the room with the PC.

Here is a clip of my phone speaker near the back of the case

YouTube watch?v=0Zk1sNMW_HQ

Parts are

Dark base pro 900v2

nvidia 3080 ichill

128gb vengeance ddr5

12900k intel

Be Quiet 320mm AIO

Be Quiet 1200w PSU

Corsair mp400 8tb SSD

Any ideas of potential solutions? Specifically bought a PC designed to be as quiet as possible and its basically burning my eardrums out, can hear the sound right across my apartment.

Last edited:
If you can detect a rotational component, that would point to fans or a cyclical action of some type .

Have you opened the case and used a home-made megaphone gizmo to try to isolate the noise source?

I guess that is a liquid cooler, which opens up more possibilities from pumps. I don't know what can be reasonably expected from them.

You can stop any fan with fingers to see if the sound changes in tone or intensity.

I guess any electrical device makes noise to some extent, so if it isn't fans or liquid cooler related, it may be hard to pinpoint.

Mar 16, 2022
Both new and old computers can experience what's called “coil whine,” which is a high-pitched noise that comes from the computer. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that the noise is a sign of major computer failure or that something is broken, loose, or about to explode. Fortunately, coil whine is normal behavior.

I'm not really sure this is fortunate or normal, PCs giving you tinnitus just by being in the same room isn't normal or people wouldn't buy them. Maybe common but I doubt typically this bad. Also not even sure its coil whine, haven't heard the constant single high pitched tone before in this way and the tone doesn't change with or without load.

Status
Not open for further replies.