[SOLVED] High Pitched Sounds even after all components replaced

Aug 26, 2019
Hi All,
Long time browser of this site, but first time poster :)

I am really at my wits end and was wondering if anyone here might have experienced this before.

My old setup:
i7 (4th or 5th generation, think it was Devils Canyon or something)
Asus Hero VII Mobo
Saphire R9 295 GPU
Corsair Gold 750 PSU
SSD HDD
24 Inch Monitor

Worked fine for years. Then earlier this year I bought a new RTX2080 and a 34 inch monitor.

This worked fine for over a month and then one day my PC started making a high pitched sound ONLY when in games. Dead quiet when no game is running. Very loud when a game is running. I sit about 2 meters from my PC and it is clearly audible.

Initially I thought it was coil whine from the GPU, so I took out the RTX2080 to RMA it. But when I put my old R9 295 back in the sound was still there.

I then bought a new PSU (Corsair 850 RMI), the whine is still there, frustrated I then took it in to a shop and they said it could be mobo or CPU... So I bought a new Mobo, Cpu and RAM:

Now my new rig is:
i7 9700k
Asus Strix Z390
RTX2080
Coraisr 850 RMI.
SSD HDD
34 Inch Monitor

And yes the annoying sound is still there.

I am familiar with coil whine, and if it is coil whine so be it. What I can't understand is that even with EVERYTHING replaced it still is the same sound? I have even tried my old GPU with all the new components no change.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give the full story.

Does anyone have any ideas, I have no ideas left in me.

Thanks.

Solution
Does your monitor have adaptive sync? If it does, maybe your monitor's power supply does not like power draw variations from variable refresh. Disable adaptive sync and see if that makes the noise go away. You could also try turning the monitor off altogether.

InvalidError

Titan
Does your monitor have adaptive sync? If it does, maybe your monitor's power supply does not like power draw variations from variable refresh. Disable adaptive sync and see if that makes the noise go away. You could also try turning the monitor off altogether.

Solution
Aug 26, 2019
Yes I believe it does have adaptive sync.
Although when the PC is at the Repair shop I can hear the noise on their test monitors as well.
I took the PC and the monitor in today so that they have the exact set up I have to try reproduce and correct the issue.

If they do not find anything or not able to fix it, I might try different monitors at home or turn off the monitor as you suggested.

Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS