[SOLVED] High pitched whine coming from new MSI B450 Tomahawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2019
I completed my new pc around 1 week ago and everything has been running great except for a very high pitched ringing coming from (I think) my mobo. I've tried my psu disconnected and it didn't make a sound, nor my gpu, nor any of the fans. That leaves my MSI tomahawk board as the likely culprit. There haven't been any performance issues but the ringing is extremely obnoxious without a headset on. I've heard that disabling power savings functions can help but I don't see any options to those setting in the MSI Lite bios.
My specs are:
Ryzen 5 3600+stock cooler
MSI B450 Tomahawk
AMD RX 5700
Seasonic Focus Gold 550 FM

Solution
If you are 100% sure it is the motherboard producing the whine, I would RMA it ASAP.
But I would think it is more likely coil whine from the GPU or possibly a case fan.
I would disconnect all the case fans and open the case then boot it and see if you can pinpoint exactly where the whine is coming from.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
If you are 100% sure it is the motherboard producing the whine, I would RMA it ASAP.
But I would think it is more likely coil whine from the GPU or possibly a case fan.
I would disconnect all the case fans and open the case then boot it and see if you can pinpoint exactly where the whine is coming from.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.