High pitched whine.

rsrich

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Hey
Ive solved a few problems with this site before so i thought i would give this a go

My System;
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT OC2 512MB
2GB Kingston RAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 2.6ghz dual-core
Asus M2N68

550W ATX 12V Colors-IT PSU
rails;
+3.3V at 28A
+5V at 35A
+12V at 30A
-5V at 0.5A
-12V at 0.8A
+5VSB at 2.5A

Voltages from PC Wizard
CPU = 1.38 V
+3.3V = 3.33 V
+5V = 6.85 V
+12V = 12.42

Problem:
My first PSU was a 500W Antec Earthwatt EA-500D and I realised after buying the components :( this wasnt up to scratch of my GPU, so I changed it to a more powerful one, which more than fits the bill by my knowledge? (readings above)

Everything went well and I got everything together, but I am getting a high pitched whine from the GPU. I have checked it's the GPU because I took it out and the noise was completely gone.
I also stopped all fans so I have rulled this out aswell.

Graphics are up to date, Windows XP Home loaded fine, and I contacted BFG and they told me to check my Voltages, PSU and then I got the response to RAM it. I am just wondering if it isnt as simple as just a faulty card and I am missing something, as it will take a while to get a new card back if it is just a setting.

note;
i have connected the power connector at the side of the card so it is recieving enough power, as i did get a warning message then plugged this in and it solved that.
I dont woant to go taking the card apart as for one im not cnfident enough and i dont want to risk damage.

Any advice would be fantastic :)
Thanks

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Don't worry the card is fine its just an effect known as 'capacitor whine' where when large current goes through the power componants on the board the capacitors vibrate, there are guides on how to limit the effect.

rsrich

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks for that

one question; as I own the OC2 version, would 'reversing' the factory overclock be possible/ease the pressure on the capacitors? only guide I have seem to have found on this is nail polish and i dont think im up for doing that hehe

rsrich

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
when just the electricity supply is running through it but the pc is not on, it does not whine - but the moment i press the on button it starts to whine.
and when i changed the resolution in windows that disrupted the whine, although not making it any louder or quieter.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Its nothing to worry about, just annoying considering that it does it all the time.

Seeing as you have been given a chance to RMA it then I would probably do that, hopefully you will get a replacement that doesnt have this problem or at least only does it under load when you wont be able to hear it anyway.

GTS-R

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009

Does your new card whine like the old one? (If you RMA replaced it) my 285 whines all the time (load or idle) and i dont know if i should RMA it...dont want to wait 2 weeks and spend $11 to get another whinning card

rsrich

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Hey
I was offered an RMA but in the end I just decided to live with it and it's not 'that' loud (im actually having the most noise from my chassis fan being small and from an old case). My brother brought a GTS 250 and that was behaving almost as loud so I thought I would leave it.
It's not really alot of money if you consider how much you paid for the card - and the guy i spoke to offered it to me pretty much straight away and i knew where it was going to come from so.
Hope this helps.