[SOLVED] High Power GPU and PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Hi everyone,

I recently decided to purchase my self a GPU upgrade (And possible PSU upgrade), in the form of a RX VEGA 64.

This one is looking real good for an AMD card.

Now I only have a RaidMax RX 730SS power supply, I read here on the forums that 750 watts PSU is recommended and mine is only 730 watts with 54A on the 12v rail.

I initially thought that this might be enough to power a GPU like the RX VEGA 64, it is doing just awesome with my HD 7950 witch is roughly 195 watts, but shy 100 odd watts compared to the VEGA.

Reading here on the forums of toms hardware that a so called daisy chained PCie cable is not any good on average, the one I have is from PSU 6pin to GPU 2x(6+2)pin in one cable.

Cant seem to update my PC specs on the profile page, I would like to read your opinions on my new upgrade and the issues I will be facing doing so.

Posting my New specs soon or in next post.

I would recommend you upgrade to a better quality power supply. I'm not sure what country you are in, but any of these are highly recommendable.

Corsair RM750x, TXM 750
EVGA 750 G2
SeaSonic FOCUS/FOCUS Plus 750W

if you can't find any of those for a reasonable price ($70-$100 USD), then let us know what is available so we can find a good quality power supply.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Wow thanks for the replies, I know I made a big error when I got my current PSU, the thing is when my previous 1200Watts PSU cant remember the brand, shorted out and burned the 24 pin motherboard connector I was busy with some serious gaming and just could not wait to continue my game. So cash in hand I went to a local pc store and was talked into this RaidMax one, they even made me believe it was future proof and that it would have enough power for two eight pins if I where to upgrade my GPU again.

I live in South Africa, and I am an full time gamer.

They don't have Seasonic here, not from any reputable known online retailor with easy RMA option anyway.

What is the deal with my current power supply? Why does it even have one six pin to two six plus two pins if it cant handle 300watts on the PCie.

Want some more insight into great PSU's and Vega 64's

Status
Not open for further replies.