[SOLVED] High power spikes on Ryzen 2700X ?

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Hi thanks for looking.

After my previous problem I've been monitoring the CPU power and it's been fine. I've applied 10% oc thru the Asus ai tuner and for a week it was good. CPU power draw never went above 100w untill last night. The system started hanging bad when gaming so checked hwinfo and the CPU spiked at 572.5w! What on earth could be causing this? The vcore showed 1.48v max so I'm guessing it's not a over voltage problem. I'm worried this power spike is gonna fry something!

Solution
The ai tuner is in the bios, it's not a win program. I thought it was the safer option as it applies an oc then boots into windows to test stability then back to the bios and increases another few percent etc... Rather than me just upping voltages and stuff I don't understand.

If it's in the BIOS or in Windows has no effect on safety...you're overclocking, so you're violating the warranty and risking your chip. Even PBO is an overclock beyond the AMD recommended settings. You said earlier in this thread that you measured 368w for your chip...I doubt the 2700x would last long at those levels if it will even go that high without burning out.

I have Corsair vengeance pro 3600 Ryzen tuned memory. I've never been able to get...
"I've applied 10% oc thru the Asus ai tuner and for a week it was good. "

10% seems like a lot for a 2700x...these chips are already close to the limit out of the box. The best way to maximize performance on the 2700x is just provide good cooling and turn on PBO. Get some good memory capable of 3200-3600mhz @ c14 timings and tweak the ram to max performance.

Reactions: Krotow

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Don't use any "AI" tuner. And 575watts is impossible for that CPU!

The ai tuner is in the bios, it's not a win program. I thought it was the safer option as it applies an oc then boots into windows to test stability then back to the bios and increases another few percent etc... Rather than me just upping voltages and stuff I don't understand.

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
"I've applied 10% oc thru the Asus ai tuner and for a week it was good. "

10% seems like a lot for a 2700x...these chips are already close to the limit out of the box. The best way to maximize performance on the 2700x is just provide good cooling and turn on PBO. Get some good memory capable of 3200-3600mhz @ c14 timings and tweak the ram to max performance.

I have Corsair vengeance pro 3600 Ryzen tuned memory. I've never been able to get the memory to run @3600 but as a fellow user pointed out on here that my CPU doesn't support those memory speeds. I'm think someone said about pbo but I couldn't find it. There's d.o.c.p which is enabled. I have a cooler master ml120l for the CPU atm but am in the process of designing a custom loop that cools the GPU and CPU. I'm due a tax rebate soon and I was thinking of upgrading the CPU in the near future.

If it's in the BIOS or in Windows has no effect on safety...you're overclocking, so you're violating the warranty and risking your chip. Even PBO is an overclock beyond the AMD recommended settings. You said earlier in this thread that you measured 368w for your chip...I doubt the 2700x would last long at those levels if it will even go that high without burning out.

I have Corsair vengeance pro 3600 Ryzen tuned memory. I've never been able to get the memory to run @3600 but as a fellow user pointed out on here that my CPU doesn't support those memory speeds. I'm think someone said about pbo but I couldn't find it. There's d.o.c.p which is enabled. I have a cooler master ml120l for the CPU atm but am in the process of designing a custom loop that cools the GPU and CPU. I'm due a tax rebate soon and I was thinking of upgrading the CPU in the near future.

The 2700x may or may not support 3600 memory speeds depending on a few things like ram quality, memory controller on the CPU, and motherboard quality. My 2700x would run without issue at 3600 with very relaxed timings...but the fact is the chip was actually faster running at 3200mhz with tight timings.

Solution
I hope so. I've added up all the cores to 368w....

That's bound to be erroneous as the CPU isn't likely to hit every core, simultaneously, with maximum power. You're probably just adding up the highest value for each core captured during different polling periods.

I'd only look at a composite core power reading and only use HWInfo64. It's still not the best and many motherboards intentionally report power erroneously anyway. There are also different readings: there is CPU package power (SVI2 TFN) and CPU core power (SMU) and even CPU PPT, or Package Power Tracking.

Last edited:

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
That's bound to be erroneous as the CPU isn't likely to hit every core, simultaneously, with maximum power. You're probably just adding up the highest value for each core captured during different polling periods.

That's what I thought I maybe seeing. I've been doing some reading and the am4 socket maximum power is 142w so I would imagine the figures I'm seeing would burn something out if they were accurate, that's even if it were possible but as you say it isn't. I'm keeping an eye on the CPU vcore which is always in the green. Panic over.

Thanks.