[SOLVED] High quality PSU suggestion?

geri710

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Hi guys. So I am building a pc this week and I have all the parts figured out besides the power supply. I am looking for a psu more than 500W. I looked at Corsair CXM 550W, Corsair Rmx 650W (2018), Evga super nova g3 650w but on most psu's I see a lot of bad reviews and I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Does anyone know a good high-quality power supply? My budget is around 110$
Thanks.

Hi guys. So I am building a pc this week and I have all the parts figured out besides the power supply. I am looking for a psu more than 500W. I looked at Corsair CXM 550W, Corsair Rmx 650W (2018), Evga super nova g3 650w but on most psu's I see a lot of bad reviews and I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Does anyone know a good high-quality power supply? My budget is around 110$.
Thanks.

Does anyone know a good high-quality power supply? My budget is around 110$
Thanks.
I’d grab that RMx. Remember most reviews are gonna be bad in general with computer parts. When things work people just use them. When they have a problem they give a bad review. Many times bad reviews are just as much user error as product error.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What components are you using for the build?

The vast majority of single GPU systems these days can be covered off with a quality 450W unit.

550w-650w should give you ample headroom.

Any of the units listed are quality, although price comes into play.
The CX550M is the lesser quality of the bunch, but still solid. The CX550 (non-M) is better than it, but the RMx and G3 units would be preferred over either, assuming fair pricing on all the untis.

Where are you located? $110 gives you lots of quality options.
To give you some other alternatives:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/dDH48d,bkp323,sYyxFT,qn7v6h/

My preference/recommendations, in order, would be:
Focus+ Platinum > Focus+ Gold / RMx, G3 > TX > CX

Reactions: geri710

geri710

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
What components are you using for the build?

The vast majority of single GPU systems these days can be covered off with a quality 450W unit.

550w-650w should give you ample headroom.

Any of the units listed are quality, although price comes into play.
The CX550M is the lesser quality of the bunch, but still solid. The CX550 (non-M) is better than it, but the RMx and G3 units would be preferred over either, assuming fair pricing on all the untis.

Where are you located? $110 gives you lots of quality options.
To give you some other alternatives:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/dDH48d,bkp323,sYyxFT,qn7v6h/

My preference/recommendations, in order, would be:
Focus+ Platinum > Focus+ Gold / RMx, G3 > TX > CX

My parts are:
Ryzen 5 2600
Gtx 1660 or Gtx 1660 ti (haven't decided yet)
Msi tomahawk b450 max
16 Gb ram 3000mhz

I live in Albania, Europe where there are not so many options and the prices are higher.
Cxm 550W - 90$
G3 665W - 125$
rm650W - 136$ (not available at the moment)
Seasonic focus plus gold 650W - 128$ (the 550w platinum is a few bucks cheaper)
There are a few more
Now for this system,I think 550W are enough but what I want is a good quality psu that has a lower probability of failing. The price difference on these psu's is not a problem for me. I just want the best out of these. At first,I wanted to go for the Cxm550w but I saw a lot of bad reviews on Amazon and Newegg.
Thanks

My parts are:
Ryzen 5 2600
Msi tomahawk b450 max
16 Gb ram 3000mhz

I live in Albania, Europe where there are not so many options and the prices are higher.
Cxm 550W - 90$
G3 665W - 125$
There are a few more
Now for this system,I think 550W are enough but what I want is a good quality psu that has a lower probability of failing. The price difference on these psu's is not a problem for me. I just want the best out of these. At first,I wanted to go for the Cxm550w but I saw a lot of bad reviews on Amazon and Newegg.
Thanks
550w will be plenty for that system. I’d get the Seasonic Platinum 550 out of those options. If you want a 650w get the focus gold.

4745454b

Titan

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
My parts are:
Ryzen 5 2600
Msi tomahawk b450 max
16 Gb ram 3000mhz

Cxm 550W - 90$
G3 665W - 125$

A 550W unit is more than sufficient for those components.

At the prices quoted, the CX550M is a non-brainer to me. While it's of lesser quality vs the others, it's still a solid unit.

Given you're looking at a $35+ increase as a minimum for any of the other units, that $35-$40 may well be the different between a 1660 and a TI (or at least a 1660 Super), and would be better spent there.

As an aside, there's absolutely no need to pick up the Tomahawk MAX when pairing with a 2nd Gen Ryzen chip. If the regular B450 Tomahawk (non-MAX) is available for less, just opt for it.

Reactions: geri710 and bmockeg

geri710

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Build wise sure. But at those prices the CXM is the winner.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/be_quiet_pure_power_11_600_watt_psu_review,8.html

A few hours of gaming per day, 5 days a week. Gold is ~3EUR cheaper per year compared to bronze. With a nearly ~30EUR price advantage the CXM will is the better buy. Build wise of course the other units are better. But you need the prices to come down a lot.

Generally, the prices around Europe are much higher than USA. I don't really care that the other psu's are more expensive as long as I get better quality out of those.

geri710

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
A 550W unit is more than sufficient for those components.

At the prices quoted, the CX550M is a non-brainer to me. While it's of lesser quality vs the others, it's still a solid unit.

Given you're looking at a $35+ increase as a minimum for any of the other units, that $35-$40 may well be the different between a 1660 and a TI (or at least a 1660 Super), and would be better spent there.

As an aside, there's absolutely no need to pick up the Tomahawk MAX when pairing with a 2nd Gen Ryzen chip. If the regular B450 Tomahawk (non-MAX) is available for less, just opt for it.
I know. I wanted to buy that as well until I saw those terrible reviews. I can also afford to buy the other psu's as long as the quality of those is better. I also wanted to buy Tomahawk non max but it was not available so I bought the Max version. I might also upgrade my cpu later to 3rd gen.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What terrible reviews? The older CX lineup (green & white) had some pretty poor reviews, but there was also a huge volume of them in circulation. The newer (grey/black label) units are much better quality, and I'd have no concerns recommending the use of one.

The MAX element has no bearing on future upgrades to 3rd Gen CPUs - it only matters to get you up and running. If you're using a 2nd Gen CPU, you can update the BIOS to support 3rd Gen (and potentially onwards).
All that being said, if you already own the MAX, then it's a moot point.

Reactions: bmockeg

geri710

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
What terrible reviews? The older CX lineup (green & white) had some pretty poor reviews, but there was also a huge volume of them in circulation. The newer (grey/black label) units are much better quality, and I'd have no concerns recommending the use of one.

The MAX element has no bearing on future upgrades to 3rd Gen CPUs - it only matters to get you up and running. If you're using a 2nd Gen CPU, you can update the BIOS to support 3rd Gen (and potentially onwards).
All that being said, if you already own the MAX, then it's a moot point.
Thank you for your reply. I have not bought the Max version yet but I will. Here there are a very few options that's why I am going with tomahawk max cause it was one the decent b450 mobo's.

If you had to buy one of Corsair Cxm 550W, Supernova g3 650W and Seasonic focus plus gold 650W which would you buy?

4745454b

Titan
Or the Focus plus 550W.

I get the costs are higher to run, but that should only move the bar up. It won't skew the bar to one side? Because the Gold is more efficient you might save an extra EUR or more every year. But it's not going to magically get you your money back in 2years.

Build wise there are no fire starters there. So I trust them all the same. The only thing you want to consider is noise, cost, efficiency, etc. Warranty? These are all things only you can decide.