high ram and cpu usage need help asap

chaos-s

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
i need solutions on how to decrease my ram and cpu usage of my pc. i have 4gb ram and intel i3 3rd generation processor and a graphics card of 2gb. i am using windows 7 nd i have got a ram usage of over 70% even when my computer is idling cpu usage is average at 30-35% sometimes spiking as high as 90-99%. it wasnt so earlier but recently it is getting worse by the moment. i have only 80 processes working in background. when i use google chrome 'only' and nothing else the ram is getting upto 80-88% and cpu to 73% with only one tab open. if i try accessing any other application simultaneously the system crashes.

Solution
Try using firefox and disable hardware acceleration in the options menu and in the adobe flash settings. Make sure you don't have system defrag scheduled for everyday. Did the virus scans come back clean? Make sure that if you downloaded a free anti-virus that windows defender is turned off completely. If you only have windows defender, make sure it is not set to scan everyday.

schwatzz

Distinguished
type in msconfig into "search" in the windows star menu on the bottom left. Hit enter and it should bring up a menu. Select the startup tab. Go through it and make sure no programs that aren't necessary are unselected. Download malwarebytes and norton power eraser and make sure you don't have any malware on your computer.

chaos-s

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
tried evrything that you said sir but it wasn't of much help the problem still persists. faced another bluescreen today while i was typing in the reply to you.

chaos-s

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
playing games is just beyond imagination right now. i cant even access two tabs simultaneously on google chrome. formatting aint an option theres too much data i dont want to loose.

schwatzz

Distinguished
Try using firefox and disable hardware acceleration in the options menu and in the adobe flash settings. Make sure you don't have system defrag scheduled for everyday. Did the virus scans come back clean? Make sure that if you downloaded a free anti-virus that windows defender is turned off completely. If you only have windows defender, make sure it is not set to scan everyday.

Solution

Waterdrops

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Look in task manager what process is eating your cpu. If its an svchost it might be a malware, i ran into this problem a while ago_Open Location on the scvhost process to see if the process that is taking the cpu is in win32 folder.If its not, then it might indeed be a malware and you need to remove it.

You can also uninstall Chrome, restart, test few programs to see if indeed Chrome was the problem, then install a new copy of Chrome and check again if the cpu and ram goes wild.