Question High RAM usage on Windows 10 ?

SanZ13

Prominent
Dec 2, 2021
steam is just 500MB ram, id say its opera eating it, 8GB is on lowside today
Im planing on getting one stick of 8gb more, also i didnt add this theres like days where im running everything like in the screenshot and yet the usage is like 70% or so, also on idle with just Steam running its sometimes coping

Yes, you absolutely need more memory for all the things you are wanting to be running simultaneously. If you can find an exact match for the stick you have in there now, you can try that, but there are no guarantees even then that those sticks will play nice together. It's always better to buy a kit that has the full amount of memory you want to run, in ONE kit, that has been tested together.

But it depends as well on the memory. What model is your stick of RAM or at least, what speed is it?

SanZ13

Prominent
Dec 2, 2021
Yes, you absolutely need more memory for all the things you are wanting to be running simultaneously. If you can find an exact match for the stick you have in there now, you can try that, but there are no guarantees even then that those sticks will play nice together. It's always better to buy a kit that has the full amount of memory you want to run, in ONE kit, that has been tested together.

But it depends as well on the memory. What model is your stick of RAM or at least, what speed is it?
Uh i have the KINGSTON Beast 8gb DDR4 3200MHz i think

Ok, so let's be clear here. What are your FULL hardware specifications aside from memory, including CPU, motherboard, graphics card, power supply (Exact model) storage devices, etc? And exactly what games do you actually prefer to play, and be specific about titles if possible because it makes a huge difference in how much memory affects performance depending on what you are playing AND what you have running as far as browsers, clients, overlays, etc.

Last edited:
Well, let's be honest here. With a GT 1030 I'm not really sure ANY of this is applicable unless you're playing at like 720p with low settings.

Plus, having that 3200 MT/s memory is sort of a waste unless you're planning to upgrade to a newer platform that still uses DDR4 since even with an i7 or i9 the fastest you can run memory on that board is 2933mhz, and with an i3 like you have the fastest you can run it at is 2666 MT/s.

But since you already have it you can TRY to find another identical model module as what you have now and see if it will work with it, which at only 2666mhz there is a fairly good chance it will. And sometimes buying faster memory is actually cheaper so in some cases it just makes more sense to do that since it will only run at the fastest speed it's allowed to in any case.

So, IMO, something like this is the better option for you and then you can keep your single DIMM as a backup stick, or use it in another system, or sell it to recover some of the cost of this kit. This way you KNOW the sticks will play nice together.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $37.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-30 12:31 EDT-0400

SanZ13

Prominent
Dec 2, 2021
Well, let's be honest here. With a GT 1030 I'm not really sure ANY of this is applicable unless you're playing at like 720p with low settings.

Plus, having that 3200 MT/s memory is sort of a waste unless you're planning to upgrade to a newer platform that still uses DDR4 since even with an i7 or i9 the fastest you can run memory on that board is 2933mhz, and with an i3 like you have the fastest you can run it at is 2666 MT/s.

But since you already have it you can TRY to find another identical model module as what you have now and see if it will work with it, which at only 2666mhz there is a fairly good chance it will. And sometimes buying faster memory is actually cheaper so in some cases it just makes more sense to do that since it will only run at the fastest speed it's allowed to in any case.

So, IMO, something like this is the better option for you and then you can keep your single DIMM as a backup stick, or use it in another system, or sell it to recover some of the cost of this kit. This way you KNOW the sticks will play nice together.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($37.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $37.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-07-30 12:31 EDT-0400
I like play just Minecraft, CSGO, Payday 2 and im not even playing on high graphics tho, but uh im planning on getting another stick like the same one i have because i cant find anything else in the town i live in, i also cant get anything from amazon sadly.