High resolution 'spec' question

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Does anyone have experience with large monitors and high resolutions?
I have a Sony 21" Trinitron (Cheap eBay Purchase (If £40 delivery is cheap)) and I'm waiting for my new graphics card for my new PCI
Express setup being constructed next week which will be the Radeon ATI X800 XL 256RAM Onboard (PCI Express). The CPU is a P4 (Socket
775) 3.4GHz with 1 MEG L2 Cache and a Mobo with a 800MHz FSB capability. 1GIG of PC2700 or DDR 333MHz and a Magic Tree (Forest
Fresh) available from all garages here in the UK (Not sure about the states) just for that driving like smell.
I realise this will probably be quite ample to finally see some nice high quality textures and draw distances etc with nice frame
rates at more common resolutions but how well will this handle a 1600x1200 resolution with all the settings at max?
Does anyone here run that sort of resolution or higher and what sort of spec do you have to achieve it with acceptable frame rates?

And do any real pilots here admit to hanging Magic Tree's in their real aircraft?

TIA
 

crash

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
593
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Anthro wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with large monitors and high resolutions?
> I have a Sony 21" Trinitron (Cheap eBay Purchase (If £40 delivery is
> cheap)) and I'm waiting for my new graphics card for my new PCI
> Express setup being constructed next week which will be the Radeon
> ATI X800 XL 256RAM Onboard (PCI Express). The CPU is a P4 (Socket
> 775) 3.4GHz with 1 MEG L2 Cache and a Mobo with a 800MHz FSB
> capability. 1GIG of PC2700 or DDR 333MHz and a Magic Tree (Forest
> Fresh) available from all garages here in the UK (Not sure about the
> states) just for that driving like smell.
> I realise this will probably be quite ample to finally see some nice
> high quality textures and draw distances etc with nice frame rates at
> more common resolutions but how well will this handle a 1600x1200
> resolution with all the settings at max?
> Does anyone here run that sort of resolution or higher and what sort
> of spec do you have to achieve it with acceptable frame rates?

I run 1600x1200 on a 19" Sony, most things maxed out except clouds, with a
3GHz P4, 1GB ram, Radeon Pro 9800 128MB, and get >20-30 fps most of the
time... High detail urban areas can get it down to low teens, and throw is
weather/clouds and that's the worst fps killer - sometimes dipping into
single digits - but unless it goes into low single digits, the effect is
still FANTASTIC.... BTW, if you haven't got ActiveSky yet, get it!!

> And do any real pilots here admit to hanging Magic Tree's in their
> real aircraft?
>
Only Magic Trees you see in Arkansas are usually in pre 1975 pickups...
d:->))

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

After seeing your specs of the new system,might I suggest you get the
ram changed to DDR400 instead of 333.It will better match the FSB of
your MB.The increased cost should be fairly insignificant I think.

The 3D cloud setting is the real killer,you might have to keep it down
from the max setting a bit at a high resolution,but everything else
should be fine.

Bryan

_________________________________________________________
Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Don proudly proclaimed:

"Only Magic Trees you see in Arkansas are usually in pre 1975 pickups..."

Up here in the north Georgia hills we don't use no magic trees in our
trucks. Don't matter how old they are. Waste of money. And the dogs hate
'em.

Trip

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
news:im%0e.5828$Dz4.1992@okepread01...
> Anthro wrote:
>> Does anyone have experience with large monitors and high resolutions?
>> I have a Sony 21" Trinitron (Cheap eBay Purchase (If £40 delivery is
>> cheap)) and I'm waiting for my new graphics card for my new PCI
>> Express setup being constructed next week which will be the Radeon
>> ATI X800 XL 256RAM Onboard (PCI Express). The CPU is a P4 (Socket
>> 775) 3.4GHz with 1 MEG L2 Cache and a Mobo with a 800MHz FSB
>> capability. 1GIG of PC2700 or DDR 333MHz and a Magic Tree (Forest
>> Fresh) available from all garages here in the UK (Not sure about the
>> states) just for that driving like smell.
>> I realise this will probably be quite ample to finally see some nice
>> high quality textures and draw distances etc with nice frame rates at
>> more common resolutions but how well will this handle a 1600x1200
>> resolution with all the settings at max?
>> Does anyone here run that sort of resolution or higher and what sort
>> of spec do you have to achieve it with acceptable frame rates?
>
> I run 1600x1200 on a 19" Sony, most things maxed out except clouds, with a
> 3GHz P4, 1GB ram, Radeon Pro 9800 128MB, and get >20-30 fps most of the
> time... High detail urban areas can get it down to low teens, and throw
> is weather/clouds and that's the worst fps killer - sometimes dipping into
> single digits - but unless it goes into low single digits, the effect is
> still FANTASTIC.... BTW, if you haven't got ActiveSky yet, get it!!
>
>> And do any real pilots here admit to hanging Magic Tree's in their
>> real aircraft?
>>
> Only Magic Trees you see in Arkansas are usually in pre 1975 pickups...
> d:->))
>
> Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

I have active sky and have been using it very nicely even on my existing Geforce 4 Ti4600.. frame rates between 10 and 28ish on a P4
1.7GHz depending on surrounding detail. I would even go as far to say that it's faster than the default weather.
Active Sky can look bland when you see the screenshots.. I really hesitated getting it but would never look back now I have it. When
you are in the clouds. .it really feels like you are in the clouds. I love it. I would sever a toe if active sky was used as a bribe
with no other means to obtain it but not a big (stabilising) toe.


"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message news:im%0e.5828$Dz4.1992@okepread01...
> Anthro wrote:
> > Does anyone have experience with large monitors and high resolutions?
> > I have a Sony 21" Trinitron (Cheap eBay Purchase (If £40 delivery is
> > cheap)) and I'm waiting for my new graphics card for my new PCI
> > Express setup being constructed next week which will be the Radeon
> > ATI X800 XL 256RAM Onboard (PCI Express). The CPU is a P4 (Socket
> > 775) 3.4GHz with 1 MEG L2 Cache and a Mobo with a 800MHz FSB
> > capability. 1GIG of PC2700 or DDR 333MHz and a Magic Tree (Forest
> > Fresh) available from all garages here in the UK (Not sure about the
> > states) just for that driving like smell.
> > I realise this will probably be quite ample to finally see some nice
> > high quality textures and draw distances etc with nice frame rates at
> > more common resolutions but how well will this handle a 1600x1200
> > resolution with all the settings at max?
> > Does anyone here run that sort of resolution or higher and what sort
> > of spec do you have to achieve it with acceptable frame rates?
>
> I run 1600x1200 on a 19" Sony, most things maxed out except clouds, with a
> 3GHz P4, 1GB ram, Radeon Pro 9800 128MB, and get >20-30 fps most of the
> time... High detail urban areas can get it down to low teens, and throw is
> weather/clouds and that's the worst fps killer - sometimes dipping into
> single digits - but unless it goes into low single digits, the effect is
> still FANTASTIC.... BTW, if you haven't got ActiveSky yet, get it!!
>
> > And do any real pilots here admit to hanging Magic Tree's in their
> > real aircraft?
> >
> Only Magic Trees you see in Arkansas are usually in pre 1975 pickups...
> d:->))
>
> Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Yea the Mobo I just purchased is a tweener.. it supports my current 1 GIG of PC2700 but it will also support DDR2 (IN different
sockets) when my budget permits... I know what you're saying.. the Mobo i'm building on is a Gigabyte 915P.

Cheers

"hbear" <hbear@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message news:1111789787.22337@forums.simradar.com...
> After seeing your specs of the new system,might I suggest you get the
> ram changed to DDR400 instead of 333.It will better match the FSB of
> your MB.The increased cost should be fairly insignificant I think.
>
> The 3D cloud setting is the real killer,you might have to keep it down
> from the max setting a bit at a high resolution,but everything else
> should be fine.
>
> Bryan
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Posted via the -Web to Usenet- forums at http://forums.simradar.com
> Visit www.simradar.com and try our Flight Simulation Search Engine!
 

crash

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
593
0
18,980
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Trip Lane wrote:
> our trucks. Don't matter how old they are. Waste of money. And the
> dogs hate 'em.
>


Ya mean they ride up front??? Geezzz, don't let the hounds round here hear
thet.....
Course, the Magic Tree does help hide the smell of the shine thet got spilt
goin over that last "low water" bridge (meanin, thar ain't no bridge, ya
drive over the rocks in the creek bed)........ d:->))
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On 2005-03-25, hbear <hbear@forums.simradar.com> wrote:
>
> The 3D cloud setting is the real killer,you might have to keep it down
> from the max setting a bit at a high resolution,but everything else
> should be fine.

Sheesh! Is there any (current) spec that could run FS9 with all the
graphics settings at max?

I know this isn't a game but I do recall a time when, if you had the
latest and greatest, you could run stuff at max settings - until you
bought a new game.

If this is the situation now, will the Minimum Spec for MSFS 2006 even
be invented before it hits the shelves?!

I'm still running MSFS2000 (Pro) on a dual 850Mhz (or maybe 800 - been a
*long* time since I put it together) with just a 15" monitor (1024 x 768.
I'd ideally like 4 monitors: 1 x dials etc., 1x full screen forward view,
1x full screen ahead-and-left and 1x full screen ahead-and-right (I like
to see where I'm going). And I'm getting to a stage where I can afford
to build this - however, if I can't max out the graphics (especially the
dynamic stuff - weather/clouds) is there any point? What do I have to
do to get the best display quality and also more than just one screen? I
want immersion!!!!

Justin.

--
Justin C by the sea.
 

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
3,414
0
20,780
Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

> If this is the situation now, will the Minimum Spec for MSFS 2006 even
> be invented before it hits the shelves?!
>
> I'm still running MSFS2000 (Pro) on a dual 850Mhz (or maybe 800 - been a
> *long* time since I put it together) with just a 15" monitor (1024 x 768.
> I'd ideally like 4 monitors: 1 x dials etc., 1x full screen forward view,
> 1x full screen ahead-and-left and 1x full screen ahead-and-right (I like
> to see where I'm going). And I'm getting to a stage where I can afford
> to build this - however, if I can't max out the graphics (especially the
> dynamic stuff - weather/clouds) is there any point? What do I have to
> do to get the best display quality and also more than just one screen? I
> want immersion!!!!
>
> Justin.
>

Did I read that right? Some people here that have flown FS2000 have not
talked very nice about it. I'll let them explain.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield (KGRK)