Question High rpm on case fans

Dec 12, 2021
I recently upgraded from (2x8gb) to (2x16gb) ram. Upon restart everything switched on normal and then my case fans sounded like they were taking off. My CPU fans are running at 630, 640, and 586. So, it's just my case fans that are high rpms, well over 2500. I have done some research and found I may need to adjust setting in the bios? I have no experience with this, so I was hoping for some guidance. I also double checked and made sure all the fans are plugged, all good! Hopefully someone can help, Thanks!

Dec 12, 2021
You have 3 CPU fans? Possible I suppose.

I certainly wouldn't think changing RAM would affect case fans.

Do you know how to get into and navigate a BIOS?

Most semi-modern BIOS do have fan control.

Are your case fans PWM or do you know?
I have an AIO liquid CPU cooler with 3 fans

I never expected my fan speeds to change either

Yes, I know how to get to the BIOS but never navigated it as I can control my CPU fans from ICUE software and never need to adjust the case fans. I have 6 case fans and all 6 of them are running 100%

I go to the BIOS and I set the fans to the smart setting and rebooted with those settings but no luck. Also, worth noting this pc is a new build and is only 3 months old.

I go to the BIOS and I set the fans to the smart setting and rebooted with those settings but no luck. Also, worth noting this pc is a new build and is only 3 months old.

I know nothing about liquid cooling.

For all I know, the liquid cooler over-rides the BIOS. I dunno.

When you fiddled with fan settings in the BIOS, did you SAVE those new settings before exiting the BIOS?

Have you experimented with BIOS fans settings other than the "smart setting".

Are your case fans PWM? For all I know they are ordinary 3 pin fans, but as far as I know even 3 pin fans are normally adjustable by BIOS settings.

Dec 12, 2021
Yes, the ICUE software allows me to adjust the pump operation, fan curve and standard rpms

Yes, I saved the settings before exit and rebooted (not before I snapped pics of previous) nothing changed unfortunately

I've not experimented further, I wanted to consult due to not having much knowledge with the BIOS settings for fan curve or control.

Yes, they are all PWM.

Do you know whether or not the ICUE software is supposed to have any control at all over case fans? I wouldn't think so, but dunno.

I would speculate conflict between ICUE software and case fan BIOS settings. I'm assuming you have a decent grasp on BIOS fan settings.

Did these case fans ever run at lower rpm? Possibly before ICUE entered the picture?

Dec 12, 2021
Correct, the ICUE doesnt control the case fans

I questioned the conflict as well and shut down my ICUE completely and no changes

ICUE has ran from the beginning.

However, let me ask you what the big difference is between PWM and DC. After you asked that question, I knew my fans were PWM(4pins instead of 3) as I purchased and installed them myself so i went into the BIOS and I noticed one of my fans sections was set to DC instead of PWM!

Last edited:
Offhand, I cannot recall any of my PC BIOS settings having a DC setting, so can't help on that.

I use PWM fans without incident and without any BIOS fiddling that I can recall.

I've got mine set to "silent" and they change speeds only very slightly with that setting.

Dec 12, 2021
I never knew that either as I've never seen this setting before but again, I haven't had a lot of use with BIOS. regardless I set it back to PWM instead of the DC setting and all is good now they are running very low rpm and adjusted as needed!
So, for future an MSI Z690-A BIOS has a PWM and DC fan setting. Learn something new every day with this first build, gotta start somewhere I suppose. Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this issue!