[SOLVED] High Ryzen 5 3600 Idle Package Power Consumption

Mar 7, 2021
My Ryzen 5 3600 package power at idle always sucks down at least 30-40W. Is this normal? I'm on the Ryzen Balanced Power plan. I've just switched over from my 2600 where it idled 15-20W. I've seen others with the 3600 idling at 20W. Any way for me to lower the package power?

Solution
My Ryzen 5 3600 package power at idle always sucks down at least 30-40W. Is this normal? I'm on the Ryzen Balanced Power plan. I've just switched over from my 2600 where it idled 15-20W. I've seen others with the 3600 idling at 20W. Any way for me to lower the package power?
It can vary quite considerably based on motherboard, even for the exact same CPU, because motherboard mfr's don't properly calibrate power reporting metrics. Often times quite intentionally.

An interesting bit about it here:

Aside from that, since 'package power' logically includes the I/O chip along with the memory controller I have to...
The people you see with such low 3600 idle are underclocked what you see is normal my 3600x sits around the same.

It can vary quite considerably based on motherboard, even for the exact same CPU, because motherboard mfr's don't properly calibrate power reporting metrics. Often times quite intentionally.

An interesting bit about it here:

Aside from that, since 'package power' logically includes the I/O chip along with the memory controller I have to think lowering memory clock would lower idle power as it also lowers the IF clock.

Last edited:
Solution
D

Deleted member 431422

And if you want accurate information use Ryzen Master. Windows says that I go down to 3.0GHz when I idle but Ryzen Master does say it goes down to 400MHz.
Ryzen Master shows the cores go in sleep mode as well, which HWinfo or CPU-Z don't show.
I own a Ryzen 5 Pro 3350G and with AMD Balanced Plan it tends to idlle at around 3GHz. I had to change CPU power plan at idlle to 10% for the clock and cpu voltage to go down.

Ryzen Master shows the cores go in sleep mode as well, which HWinfo or CPU-Z don't show.
I own a Ryzen 5 Pro 3350G and with AMD Balanced Plan it tends to idlle at around 3GHz. I had to change CPU power plan at idlle to 10% for the clock and cpu voltage to go down.
Actually, HWInfo does show sleep residency. It's ordered by core for three C-states; C0 (no sleep), C1(processing halt) and C6(deep sleep, core essentially turned off). It shows the percent time in each state across the polling period for each core.

It's very dynamic so a static readout would be less useful. I'm pretty sure it infers C6 because asking a core it's status will wake it up from C6 to answer.

Last edited:
I have a 3700X and it idles around this much. However, if I set Windows' power plan to Power Saver, it drops to about 20W or less. This will cap the CPU speed and on the 3700X it's around 2.2GHz, but I don't really notice any performance loss if I'm just browsing the internet or watching YouTube.

Mar 7, 2021
I have a 3700X and it idles around this much. However, if I set Windows' power plan to Power Saver, it drops to about 20W or less. This will cap the CPU speed and on the 3700X it's around 2.2GHz, but I don't really notice any performance loss if I'm just browsing the internet or watching YouTube.
Yeah um using power saver has little to no impact. Power consumption remains around 35W.