high speed internet (fiber) but high ping in games . 4G is better sometimes !

Mr6LaL

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016
HI guys.

1st thing is i am still learning English .

i searched the internet for 3 days now.
i gave up because i think my issue is a bit unique .

Note : in our country ( Saudi Arabia ) we have 2 Fiber internet providers
STC wich is the best but its still not in my area
Mobily also a great one (ofc. it is, it is still a fiber internet :D )

so i will tell ya my problem

5742827902.png

Speedtest info

As you can see my internet plan is pretty good

my problems is with the high Ping in Games.

For example League of Legends in my country the ping is around 90-120 best cases.
even 4G and DSL gets easly 100-120 ( i know its high but its the best you can get here )

I get minimum 140-155 considering i am on Fiber connection.
my previous house we had STC and the ping was 90 at that time but when i moved to my new house and got this internet i faced this problem. Sometime i play 4G from my phone and get better Ping but it should be the other way around. Fiber > 4G.

and its not only League of legends, Counter Strike GO is a Good example because we have a server near us in Dubi unlike League of Legends . My friends ping is 15-20 in Dubai server ( very close ) and i am stuck with 80-100

also Overwatch i get 120-140 when my friends get 70-90.

i will tell you what i tried

Router :

1- tried to use multiple DNS servers
2- tried to open ports for the games
3- Enabled UPNP
4- found the best MTU size for me

Pc :

1- tweaked Killer Network and priority settings to the games
2- flushDNS before every game
3- i even Added the TCP files in the REGEDIT

but nothing changed and i am really mad about it

so please if anyone has an idea please and i beg you guys to answer

Solution
Your speed test pretty much proves you have no issues with any of your equipment and likely the connection to your house is completely fine.

I would not mess with the mtu parameter it can cause you issues in the long run. The software is smart enough to detect the proper MTU in most cases. The killer network stuff is smoke and mirrors and will not really help most problem, it would only really help if you were doing something stupid like uploading big files while you played a game. Many people disable and install the killer drivers without these features because of other odd issues you get from time to time. I would at least leave the setting on the default.

Still your problem is related to how your ISP not you connect to the...

Mr6LaL

Commendable
Oct 24, 2016

i thought i mentioned it, sorry

its all ready on Ethernet cable not WiFi

Your speed test pretty much proves you have no issues with any of your equipment and likely the connection to your house is completely fine.

I would not mess with the mtu parameter it can cause you issues in the long run. The software is smart enough to detect the proper MTU in most cases. The killer network stuff is smoke and mirrors and will not really help most problem, it would only really help if you were doing something stupid like uploading big files while you played a game. Many people disable and install the killer drivers without these features because of other odd issues you get from time to time. I would at least leave the setting on the default.

Still your problem is related to how your ISP not you connect to the rest of the world. From your latency I suspect you are trying to play on servers in the EU. If the server were in your own country you would likely see times in the 20-30ms range. If you were lucky and the server were in the same city as the speed test server you would see aprox the 3ms the speedtest.

Lets take a extreme example. Say you have ISP A and ISP B to choose from. You are going to game server in EU that uses ISP C. Now lets say ISP A and ISP C have a direct connection to each other in your country. This means the traffic will go from ISP A fiber to ISP B fiber. You would have the lowest latency possible only being delay mostly by the speed of light and some overhead. Now lets say ISP B connects to ISP C in the USA. Your traffic now has to go all the way to the USA on ISP B, change to ISP C and then go all the way to the EU. Just with the speed of light you have greatly increased your distance.

It is not nearly this simple though. There can be many ISP and the game company may actually have more than 1 ISP so the traffic may go in one ISP and back on another. You can partially see this with a tracert to see the different path your fiber and 4g isp take.

There really is not much you can do. Selection of the game server location is going to be key though. You need to test them....most game give the ping time to servers on the selection list. The actual physical distance means little some time because you do not actually know the path the data really takes.

Solution