Question High Static from Laptop when charging.

Mar 31, 2020
Hi guys,

So this has been occuring since I moved to a new place for work. It's a pretty old house so my guess is the wiring around the house is not the best.

Like the title said, my laptop has a metal body, whenever it's charging, if I place my wrist on the metal part, I'll get static, its not the short zappy kind, it's like a slow sharp zap, if that make any sense. I'm guessing it's poor grounding on the power outlets, cause all the outlets in the house does this, and my gf's laptop and my Surface pro 4 does the same thing when it's plugged in.

Any suggestion on what i can do to remedy this issue? I'd appreciate any help on this :)

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Wow. That's so weird. It's the first I'm hearing about this issue. First I would recommend you get in touch with an authorized electrician and tell him what's going. There are some services that do provide free advice - see what they say and act accordingly.
Try not do anything that may endanger you or electrocute you.

Hi guys,

So this has been occuring since I moved to a new place for work. It's a pretty old house so my guess is the wiring around the house is not the best.

Like the title said, my laptop has a metal body, whenever it's charging, if I place my wrist on the metal part, I'll get static, its not the short zappy kind, it's like a slow sharp zap, if that make any sense. I'm guessing it's poor grounding on the power outlets, cause all the outlets in the house does this, and my gf's laptop and my Surface pro 4 does the same thing when it's plugged in.

Any suggestion on what i can do to remedy this issue? I'd appreciate any help on this :)

It’s fine don’t worry about it, most things with a metal body do it.

Have an answer from elsewhere:
https://www.quora.com/When-I-brush-...gainst-it-when-it-is-not-charging-Why-is-this

Wow. That's so weird. It's the first I'm hearing about this issue. First I would recommend you get in touch with an authorized electrician and tell him what's going. There are some services that do provide free advice - see what they say and act accordingly.
Try not do anything that may endanger you or electrocute you.
It’s completely fine, normal and safe. A tiny amount of current.