high temp 5820k dark rock 3

kingAXEL

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
So I just installed dark rock 3 on 5820k 3.6ghz core=~1 so no everclock
Temps are not great ~45 idle ~86 under load

I used termal paste that came with the cooler.
What have I done wrong ?
Too much paste ? I put amount about the size of capacitor. If I remove the cooler will I be able to see if I have applied too much ?

What can I buy in ebay to clean cpu and cooler (for paste removal) ?

Solution
what part of teh heatsink are you touching?
if your cooler is good enough it could disperse enough heat fast enough that you wouldnt feel a temperature difference in the "top" part, i note you didnt say what cooler you used
temps going down on load fast is normal, core temps should indeed fluctuate rapidly in temps from load to idle

did you ever try check your cooler mounting? you didnt mention if you rechecked your cooler mounting,

isopropyl should be easy to get your hands on to clean the paste of when/if you decide to remove the cooler and reapply paste and reseat it
Capacitors come in a lot of different sizes. I personally use around as much as a large cooked grain of rice. You don't want too much that it squeezes over the edges. However, too much paste rarely causes high temperatures.

Does the heatsink get hot to the touch? If so, it's contacting the CPU just fine, and you would want to use a more aggressive fan speed profile to get lower temperatures. If not, I would ensure you mounted correctly. If applying pressure to the top of the heatsink causes temperatures to drop, your mounting is incorrect.

However, bear in mind that this is a large, power hungry 6-core CPU, and Intel has designed them to run at up to 100c safely at stock clocks and voltage, and provides a warranty at those temperatures. What sort of load are you applying to reach 86c? Is this IntelBurnTest (Linpack) / Prime95, or is this typical day-to-day use?

kingAXEL

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
I did a qucik Iray render (5min) all cores where at 100%

Can I touch the heatsink while pc is on ?

Can I remove cooler without changing thermal paste ?
Maybe I mounted it wrong

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
if in doubt regarding the thermal paste you can do this, its how i go to "idot proof" my own actions
apply paste as you would think you should, mount the cooler, screw in as if your were done
then remove it, and check your paste on the heatsink and cpu, is it applied evenly? does it look like there is too much or any "lumps" even?, if so wipe of the big excess areas, or apply tiny amounts to the areas missing
thats how i do it, but im a klutz and feel i need to triple check my own work constantly ;)

kingAXEL

Reputable
Apr 12, 2016
Cooler rpm is good at full load its 1600 rpm at idle ~600
Heatsink has no heat to it at all
Touching the cooler has no effect
Also when going from full load to idle tems decrease in like 2 sec

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
what part of teh heatsink are you touching?
if your cooler is good enough it could disperse enough heat fast enough that you wouldnt feel a temperature difference in the "top" part, i note you didnt say what cooler you used
temps going down on load fast is normal, core temps should indeed fluctuate rapidly in temps from load to idle

did you ever try check your cooler mounting? you didnt mention if you rechecked your cooler mounting,

isopropyl should be easy to get your hands on to clean the paste of when/if you decide to remove the cooler and reapply paste and reseat it

Solution