high temperature low load (Corsair Hydro Series™ H100i v2 installed)

Sep 23, 2018
I have a i5 6600k CPU. This morning when I woke up, I turn on my computer and then notice my fan is very loud. So I open my Corsair Link and saw that CPU temperature is high around 80 Celsius with a low load at around 15%. I cleaned any visible dust but the temperature is still high. So i went to buy thermal paste to replace. When I came home, I turned on my computer, and strangely, CPU was at 30 Celsius and my fan run quietly. Just when I thought everything is fine, 3 hours later, CPU temperature suddenly went up to 80 Celsius again. Although right now it is around 70 Celsius, one thing is the same, fan speed constantly within at 2586 - 2606RPM. It is the same as when I play FF15.

Solution
3 possibilities.

1. Installer error.
2. Aio failure, either pump or liquid levels.
3. Software error.

1. It's been running successfully for a year, so hookup is probably right, pump is tight to cpu, and unless the pc has been moved recently or tilted in some way, there shouldn't be air bubble trapped in the pump.

2. Pumps can fail, liquid can evaporate. You've owned it for a year, but that's not the age of the aio. It's possible if the fluid level was low to start with, you've now run it hot for a year and the fluid has evaporated sufficiently that little is actually running through the pump.

3. Corsair Link has had its fair share of glitches, everything from miss read temps, to wierd voltages. It's entity possible there's...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How old is the AIO? They normally have a usable lifespan of somewhere around 5 years, (from manufacture date) at which point there's been enough evaporation of the coolant that low liquid levels aren't enough to do the job. Basically identical to a car motor overheating when there's nothing in the radiator. Unfortunately, most AIO's are sealed systems that prevent the user from refilling the liquid, requiring either replacement or a willingness/ability to modify the AIO.

Sep 23, 2018

AIO is one year old. Now the temperature is 59 Celsius. however, fan is till at around 2657 RPM.

Zahid Shabir

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015

If you bought the AIO as brand new and you still have proof of purchase then go to the Corsair website and request an RMA. I think the pump ,inside may have failed or something like that

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It could be pump failure. It could also be software failure. Verify the cpu temps by different means, realtemp or coretemp will work. If using the Corsair link, that software is running the fans duty cycle and if it's reading wrong, then the fans will respond to its readings as if it was right.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3 possibilities.

1. Installer error.
2. Aio failure, either pump or liquid levels.
3. Software error.

1. It's been running successfully for a year, so hookup is probably right, pump is tight to cpu, and unless the pc has been moved recently or tilted in some way, there shouldn't be air bubble trapped in the pump.

2. Pumps can fail, liquid can evaporate. You've owned it for a year, but that's not the age of the aio. It's possible if the fluid level was low to start with, you've now run it hot for a year and the fluid has evaporated sufficiently that little is actually running through the pump.

3. Corsair Link has had its fair share of glitches, everything from miss read temps, to wierd voltages. It's entity possible there's nothing wrong at all other than a windows update messed with the USB family drivers and the software is reporting the wrong temp, so now it thinks it's overheating and runs the fans full blast to compensate.

Remove the software and reinstall a fresh copy latest version. Make sure any and all motherboard drivers are newest version, that includes the USB Sata, audio, Lan etc. They are found on the motherboard website. Don't rely on windows drivers or other driver downloader/updater. Verify cpu temps independently of CL. Use coretemp or realtemp.

Eliminate every possibility first. If nothing changes, only then is it probably a aio error/failure and RMA.

Solution