High temperatures of CPU while idling

Drunky94

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016
Hello. I've been using an intel i5 4670 CPU for a couple of years now. The last few days, at random points my computer just stuttered and froze, requiring me to hard reset it. After a bit of google searching I came to the conclusion that it probably is the CPU temperature. After downloading a temperature tracking program, it seems that my CPU is running at ~68C while gaming and ~50-60C while idling (just watching videos on youtube). Lowest temperature is 47 and highest is 69C.
So my question basically is:
Is my CPU temperatures normal or too high. If it's the latter, what can I do (preferably without me requiring to buy something expensive).
Thank you very much in advance. Have a nice evening.

the gaming temp doesn't seem to high, it could be lower of course. The idle temp is high though. What kind of CPU heatsink/fan do you have?

Assuming the CPU fan is decent and still working just fine you might want to go into your BIOS and see if you can control how aggressively it spins up against rising temps. That won't cost you any money.

Drunky94

Commendable
Feb 17, 2016

First off, thank you very much for your response.
Second, I'm not sure about the model but it's the one that came with the CPU. Today idle temps are around 35C, so I guess that's better. No idea why it was so high yesterday. Also, while I know how to enter the BIOS, I'm not sure how to control the fans. Thank you in advance :D