Question High temperatures on AMD Threadripper 1950X

Aug 21, 2019
Hi,

I have just built a new system today. It's ASUS X399 PRIME-a, AMD Threadripper 1950X, GeForece 2080Ti 11GB, BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro TR4, 64GB memory. 2 fans at front and one fan at back. PSU Corsair HX1000i.

I wanted to check CPU temperatures so I installed CPUID HWMonitor and Prime95. I don't quite understand what HWMonitor tells me so I will try to report what I can see.

HWMonitor tells me that in idle the temperatures Pcakge (Node 0), Package (Node 1) were 35-42. I did not check temperatures on mobo, unfortunately. Then I started run test using Prime95. I just installed it, selected smaller FFT (2nd option), turned AVX and AVX2 off and run a test. The temperatures immediately jumped to 70 and then were slowly increases and became stable at 87 on both Nodes. During the test I also checked three sensors: TMPIN0, TMPIN1, TOMPIN2 but I don't know what they represent. The temperatures HW reported on those "sensors" were 87C, 32C, 65C.

I also opened cover and check PSU and it was very hot. HWMonitor on PSU reported average 47C with max 67C.

I think my temperatures are too high. Should re-apply thermal paste? I believe I put enough just in the middle, an streched dot as AMD Threadripper is quite large.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS