High temperatures on gpu

May 6, 2018
So I bought a new laptop and whenever I try to game, my gpu seems to always hit temperatures of 80-85 degrees celcius. Are these temperatures normal and if not, is there any way to lower my gpu max usage to decrease them?

Specs:
Intel i7-8550U (Built in Intel 620 gpu)
Nvidea GeForce GTX-1050
Windows 10 OS

Solution
It's normal for laptop GPU to reach higher temperatures because of the more compact circuitry, limited cooling possibilities and the restricted volume it's housed in. You can remedy to this by :

- Use laptop metallic fanned cooling pad to help cooling it and keep it at a good clearance from the surface.
- Verify laptops fans are clean and functional.

- VGA and CPU cooling might be linked together through same heatsink and cooling fan(s) thus making sure CPU is not overheating would help GPU stay cool as well.
- If you have control over GPU and/or CPU fan(s) through laptop manufacturer or software utility adapt it's curve to run faster when gaming.
- Use a third party software like MSI after burner to set lower temperature and power...

R0GG

Distinguished
It's normal for laptop GPU to reach higher temperatures because of the more compact circuitry, limited cooling possibilities and the restricted volume it's housed in. You can remedy to this by :

- Use laptop metallic fanned cooling pad to help cooling it and keep it at a good clearance from the surface.
- Verify laptops fans are clean and functional.

- VGA and CPU cooling might be linked together through same heatsink and cooling fan(s) thus making sure CPU is not overheating would help GPU stay cool as well.
- If you have control over GPU and/or CPU fan(s) through laptop manufacturer or software utility adapt it's curve to run faster when gaming.
- Use a third party software like MSI after burner to set lower temperature and power limit for your card to avoid reaching higher temps while gaming, and also to try adjust Fan curve if accessible to the software.

- In Nvidia control panel you can set overall performance options to favor adaptive mode, and might have to lower your 3D Nvidia panel game settings or in-game settings.

- You could use you laptop manufacurer dedicated utilities and/or HWMONITOR and GPUZ to keep an eye on your system and your GPU performance, clocks and temperatures.

What exact model is your laptop?

Solution
For a laptop yes, many laptops will thermal throttle on CPU and GPU.

Quick way to help is increase airflow to the vents, if it has vents/intakes on the bottom then get a laptop riser meant to increase airflow, if it doesn't then just insure plenty of space around the sides and back.

One way you can lower temp but void the warranty is to topn up the laptop, and either apply better thermal paste to the cooler blocks or try your hand at liquid metal. Again this will void all warranties and proceed at your own risk.