Question High Temperatures on Intel core i7-2600 CPU @3.40GHz and NVIDIA ZOTAC GTX 970

May 31, 2020
Hi everyone, it's my first post here on TOM'sHW forum.
As you can read in the question title, I am experiencing some very high temperatures on my CPU and this issue stops me from playing some games I want to play.
First of all, here are my PC specs:

-CPU: Intel core i7 2600 @ 3.40 GHz - intel stock cooler (Socket 1155 LGA) - (i bought this at least 8-9 years ago)
-MAINBOARD: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 Rev 1.xx (updated to the latest BIOS version)
-RAM: 8 GB DD3
-GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 - Zotac - 4gb mem
-CASE: Noua Smash S7 Black Case ATX with 4 fans
-PSU: EVGA 600B 600W Black

So my issue is that my CPU temperatures are pretty high in IDLE as you can see from the picture attached below
IDLE temp 1
IDLE TEMP2

I always had temperatures problems with this PC expecially with my GPU, and this cause my pc to crash. I changed my PSU and this solved that problem.
My GPU originally had 2 fans, but I'd been forced to remove one of them because it broke and it just produced only a very annoying noise and it was not spinning properly.

Since 2 weeks, when I play some games (NieR: Automata, The Witcher 3, COD:MW) my CPU temps reach 90°C - and even beyond, my max temp experienced has been 97°C but then I stopped the game because I know this can cause many problems to my PC components. Meanwhile, my GPU temp reaches 79°C but can also reach 80-81°C sometimes (and 79°C is the max temp allowed for my GTX 970), but without any PC crash. I replaced the thermal paste of my GPU, not the one of my CPU.

So my questions are:
-How can I solve these very high temps (90°C-97°C) on my CPU? Can I continue playing and not being worried about these high temps?
-Since I changed my PSU, i changed my CASE to solve air ventilation issues, I replaced my GPU thermal paste, why my GPU is still reaching 80°C temperatures?

I runned a Prime95 test and all the 4 cores of my CPU almost reached the TJ temp running very hot (I can also feel the heat coming out of the PC).

Thanks in advance

poorbugger

Distinguished
Ma dood, you had the cpu for at least 8 years now. Clean the cooler, change the thermal paste. If you're still using the stock cooler, it is recommended to get a new one. I had an i7 2600k and the stock cooler is god awfully loud. As for the gpu, you removed one of the fans but did you replace them? How loud was your gpu during gaming? How fast were the fan(s) spinning?

May 31, 2020
Ma dood, you had the cpu for at least 8 years now. Clean the cooler, change the thermal paste. If you're still using the stock cooler, it is recommended to get a new one. I had an i7 2600k and the stock cooler is god awfully loud. As for the gpu, you removed one of the fans but did you replace them? How loud was your gpu during gaming? How fast were the fan(s) spinning?

Thanks for replying man!
I didn't replace the fan i removed. My GPU at the moment is working with only a single fan instead of two.
During gaming, the fans were spinning around 60% - but one of the two didn't spin properly: one of them stop and start spinning again, stop and again, and so on. In the end I decided to remove that broken fan.

By the way today I cleaned the cooler, I changed the thermal paste and i'm monitoring the temps. Nothing seems to have changed. I think i'm going to buy a DEEPCOOL cooler. I'm quite confused: I don't know if I should buy a new processor since mine is 8 years old (and also changing the mobo!)

poorbugger

Distinguished
Thanks for replying man!
I didn't replace the fan i removed. My GPU at the moment is working with only a single fan instead of two.
During gaming, the fans were spinning around 60% - but one of the two didn't spin properly: one of them stop and start spinning again, stop and again, and so on. In the end I decided to remove that broken fan.

By the way today I cleaned the cooler, I changed the thermal paste and i'm monitoring the temps. Nothing seems to have changed. I think i'm going to buy a DEEPCOOL cooler. I'm quite confused: I don't know if I should buy a new processor since mine is 8 years old (and also changing the mobo!)
Please replace the fans on your gpu lol. Both of them would be nice. It's pretty much a miracle how your gpu is surviving that well on 1 fan. Replacing the cpu depends on your needs. Are you looking to upgrade? Tbh, the i7 2600k is still capable today. If you dont mind, keep it for another year or two. Just getting a new cooler is enough. Noctua has pretty good coolers. Also make sure you remove the plastic film at the bottom of those aftermarket coolers once you get them.

May 31, 2020
Please replace the fans on your gpu lol. Both of them would be nice. It's pretty much a miracle how your gpu is surviving that well on 1 fan. Replacing the cpu depends on your needs. Are you looking to upgrade? Tbh, the i7 2600k is still capable today. If you dont mind, keep it for another year or two. Just getting a new cooler is enough. Noctua has pretty good coolers. Also make sure you remove the plastic film at the bottom of those aftermarket coolers once you get them.

Yes i'm gonna reply them soon and gonna buy the noctua too!