[SOLVED] High Temperatures on Ryzen 5900X ?

Daani37

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
I built a brand new machine today, decided to move over to AMD from using intel for many years. I flashed the bios to the current updated version (not the beta) installed everything and ive noticed some issues. Firstly when I boot my pc after the bios screen disappears and I am on the windows login all my fans including my GPU are running at 100% for like 1 minute at least this happens on every startup. I checked the temperatures for CPU Tdie and it sits on around 80 degrees as soon as I boot and then drops to around 55-60 degrees. I have set the cpu and system fans to smart control and left the aio pump to full. I launched Warzone and the cpu temps were 85 degrees and all the fans blowing 100%.

My spec is as follows
MSI Tamahawk X570
AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Kleev 32gb 3600mhz ram
RTX 3070ti founders edition
ASUS Rog Ryuo 120 Water Cooler

I would appreciate some support with this.

Solution
"ASUS Rog Ryuo 120 Water Cooler "

In no way is a 120mm AIO the right CPU cooler for a 5900x...you need a proper cooler in the 280 or larger class or something like a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler.

You should be checking temps with Ryzen Master which will provide the average temp across the cpu. Ryzen CPUs do not run the same way Intel chips do. It's the nature of Ryzen CPUs to boost one core until temp limits are hit then it moves to a different core while under light work loads. This happens a lot during what most people call idle when Windows is running background tasks. When Ryzen chips boost they will balance between voltage, clock speed, and cpu temps so under light loads the chip will exploit all 3 to full advantage. This tends to...
the fans @ 100% during OS loading is fairly normal.
as the system loads it has to implement any fan curve and will usually ramp up for a bit until this kicks in.
to stop this you should be able to just leave the system in "Sleep" mode when not in use.

your temps continuing at those high degrees though is not "normal".

how is your system-wide cooling setup?
case fans, their positions, and their orientation.
liquid cooler's location and it's fan's orientation.

any overclocking in place
or any manipulation of voltages or other options in the BIOS?

Daani37

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
the fans @ 100% during OS loading is fairly normal.
as the system loads it has to implement any fan curve and will usually ramp up for a bit until this kicks in.
to stop this you should be able to just leave the system in "Sleep" mode when not in use.

your temps continuing at those high degrees though is not "normal".

how is your system-wide cooling setup?
case fans, their positions, and their orientation.
liquid cooler's location and it's fan's orientation.

any overclocking in place
or any manipulation of voltages or other options in the BIOS?
Is it normal for the fans and you to all be at 100% for that long never seen this with intel begore. Cooling is pretty goo, I have 3 Corsair fans at the front, 1 behind, Watercooler rad is mounted at the top and the pump is lower down. I believe the front fans are pulling air in and the back is acting like an exhaust. The cpu temp reading on hwinfo shows at around 55 degree but the tdie is much higher. When losing warzone the gpu is only sitting at 50 degrees yet the cpu is 85 plus and the fans are going crazy.
Not a pleasant experience. I have not changed anything in the bios I enabled XMP 1 but disabled it thinking it might be an issue but it was still the same.

Daani37

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
I downloaded MSI CENTRE and noticed when I change the fan preset to silent the tdie temps drop significantly to 40-45 degree at idle and in game they are roughly the same. Is there any potential impact on performance as the vcore is sitting on 0.984v even whilst in games.

In no way is a 120mm AIO the right CPU cooler for a 5900x...you need a proper cooler in the 280 or larger class or something like a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler.

You should be checking temps with Ryzen Master which will provide the average temp across the cpu. Ryzen CPUs do not run the same way Intel chips do. It's the nature of Ryzen CPUs to boost one core until temp limits are hit then it moves to a different core while under light work loads. This happens a lot during what most people call idle when Windows is running background tasks. When Ryzen chips boost they will balance between voltage, clock speed, and cpu temps so under light loads the chip will exploit all 3 to full advantage. This tends to lead people to think the chip is running too hot when they focus on Tdie temp when in reality whats being reported is a very short duration temp spike that happens before the cpu shifts the work to a colder core. Run Ryzen Master in Advanced View and watch the cores and you'll see the CPU doing this in real time.

The long and short of this is you simply provide good CPU cooling and good case airflow and Ryzen will take care of the rest. There's no reason to worry about what you're seeing as it's completely normal operation for these chips to report higher idle temps than while under load. The issue for you is you're hitting 85c due to an undersized cooler which is becoming heat saturated.

As other's have already stated the fan noise issue at startup is resolved by setting fan profiles in the BIOS. I typically set manual profiles for each fan and start at 40% fan speed at 40c temp and ramp up until hitting 100% fan speed at 85c or so. You'll have to test your individual fans to see how they respond.

Last edited:
Solution

Daani37

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021

You should be checking temps with Ryzen Master which will provide the average temp across the cpu. Ryzen CPUs do not run the same way Intel chips do. It's the nature of Ryzen CPUs to boost one core until temp limits are hit then it moves to a different core while under light work loads. This happens a lot during what most people call idle when Windows is running background tasks. When Ryzen chips boost they will balance between voltage, clock speed, and cpu temps so under light loads the chip will exploit all 3 to full advantage. This tends to lead people to think the chip is running too hot when they focus on Tdie temp when in reality whats being reported is a very short duration temp spike that happens before the cpu shifts the work to a colder core. Run Ryzen Master in Advanced View and watch the cores and you'll see the CPU doing this in real time.

The long and short of this is you simply provide good CPU cooling and good case airflow and Ryzen will take care of the rest. There's no reason to worry about what you're seeing as it's completely normal operation for these chips to report higher idle temps than while under load. The issue for you is you're hitting 85c due to an undersized cooler which is becoming heat saturated.

As other's have already stated the fan noise issue at startup is resolved by setting fan profiles in the BIOS. I typically set manual profiles for each fan and start at 40% fan speed at 40c temp and ramp up until hitting 100% fan speed at 85c or so. You'll have to test your individual fans to see how they respond.
Thanks for the insight, I’ve ordered a NZXT X63 280 mm fan. The thing that was bothering me more was as soon as I would do any task or even open a browser my cpu fans would go 2000 - 2700 rpm and it’s not fun hearing that especially when I come using intel with no issues like this.
I will adjust the fan curves based on your feedback, but that doesn’t explain the gpu fans also running at full throttle on windows startup and it also goes on for about 1-2 minutes.

but that doesn’t explain the gpu fans also running at full throttle on windows startup and it also goes on for about 1-2 minutes.

That may be something specific to that GPUs drivers or BIOS. I do not have the same issue with GPUs on my MSI x570 board...it may be worthwhile updating the motherboard BIOS f you haven't already. Sadly that will require setting the BIOS fan profiles again so it's a good idea to write down what settings you settled on so you can quickly rebuild the profile on the new BIOS. Another option to try may be setting a fixed PCI-E slot speed as the high fan speed on the GPU could be caused by the GPU initializing and testing for available PCI-E slot speeds. Though I would think it should be much faster initializing than 1-2 min.