[SOLVED] High temperatures when OC i7 4770k with liquid cooling?

jonathanni1031

Prominent
Aug 4, 2019
Hello everyone, sorry I am new to OC

So back in 2013 I ordered a PC from ibuypower and the specs are

i7 4770k @3.5hz (with liquid cooling?)
GA Z87 HD3 motherboard
16gb DDR3 Ram
GTX 760 which I upgraded to a GTX 1060 SC

Its been a while so instead of upgrading my CPU, I decided to just OC my current CPU; however, when I bumped to 4.0hz and 1.16V, I ran ASUS realbench for 15 mins and got a MAX temp. of 100C. Obviously its too high, I heard that it has to be below 85C, but I looked online and so many people have their 4770k with just Hyper 212 evo bump to 4.4 and get MAX temperatures of like 80-85. So i figured obviously something is wrong with my cooling and well I didnt know better, I didnt touch the liquid cooling for the last 7 years... Do I need to change the coolant in it and how can i do it?

I also ordered a Hyper 212 Black Edition and some Arctic Silver thermal paste. Is this the better option? Or should I do something about the liquid cooling?

Picture of the cooling system: View: https://imgur.com/a/n8OTvfw

Sorry and thank you :(

Solution
i would turn off the fan on the radiator and see if the radiator gets warm / heats up if not its the pump not moving the liquid around that's how you know it's the pump not working right
could also be the coolant inside it im not sure the life span of coolant but i'm pretty sure it goes bad if its years old

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
i would turn off the fan on the radiator and see if the radiator gets warm / heats up if not its the pump not moving the liquid around that's how you know it's the pump not working right
could also be the coolant inside it im not sure the life span of coolant but i'm pretty sure it goes bad if its years old

Solution

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
if the pump is working and you can go to the fan controls and set your cpu fan to 100 % for the pump to move the coolant around all the time and set the system fan to a higher fan 1 curve to cool the radiator should help it stay cool

jonathanni1031

Prominent
Aug 4, 2019
Alright so basically my radiator is FILLED with dust for the past 7 years. I pulled everything apart and cleaned everything, and ran realbench at 4.0hz and 1.16V and the MAX temperature I got is 82C. Sorry for the trouble I caused lol

Anyways since that is stable, what is a good and stable hz and Voltage combo, that can last me for a long time. I am not really looking to push my cpu to the max, just a good balance between performance and lifetime for my cpu!?

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
well would still try making sure the pump is set to a fixed speed to ensure its running best it can since cpu fan header is most likely set for a heat sink not pump by default just some thing to check most pumps run at 12 v unless controlled by software and getting your fan on the radiator working at its best you could most likely get that temp lower :sneaky:

jonathanni1031

Prominent
Aug 4, 2019
well would still try making sure the pump is set to a fixed speed to ensure its running best it can since cpu fan header is most likely set for a heat sink not pump by default just some thing to check most pumps run at 12 v unless controlled by software and getting your fan on the radiator working at its best you could most likely get that temp lower :sneaky:

How can I check it is running at a fixed speed?

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
if you boot up and go to the bios there should be a way to control the fan speeds etc tapping delete normally does this
i would set the cpu fan header to 90 % speed rpm constant for the coolant to keep moving around
and set the sys fan 1 header to a higher rpm for your radiator to cool it self better lowering temps of the coolant

Last edited:
Yes. Pump should always run 100% duty cycle and rad fan(s) should be attached to the CPU fan header so they can adjust speed based on temp.

Also, I've never used Asus RealBench, but if it uses "AVX" workloads, it's going to give you unrealistically high temps. I like using OCCT Small Batch test.

TRENDING THREADS