[SOLVED] High temps (127c)

NSJoker

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
I have a i7 7700k@4.4GHz, Corsair H115i AIO with Corsair SP140 fans exhaust push, Asus ROG STRIX Z270-E mobo, and using Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound applied with pea method.

During idle I get 50c-ish, during Windows start about 80c, 90c while playing anything from Minecraft to Grand Theft Auto V, and gets stuck at 99/100c on a prime95 stress test. I also usually get 127c on motherboard vcore. I was getting 100c on CPU constantly before I reapplied thermal paste and switched from pull to push on the radiator fans.

I used to be able to easily pull off a stable 5GHz OC when this CPU and cooler were new, now I can barely do 4.4GHz (stock is 4.2GHz)

I have no idea what's going on, I searched a bit for other people having this issue but there's none that are reaching as high as mine. I heard that if I feel my pump vibrating or hear ticking it's probably a dead/dying pump but it seems normal. I also checked the RPMs on the pump and fans and they all seem fine too. My friend told me to replace the fluid but I don't think that's really necessary for an AIO.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Solution

Sensors that only display extreme values with little in-between are usually either not present or defective - 0C is an impossible temperature unless room temperature is below freezing or you are using some form of below-ambient cooling like LN2 or phase-change chiller with an anti-freeze liquid loop.

Since you re-installed your AiO and still get higher temperatures than you'd like, either the CPU block still isn't making proper contact with the CPU, the AiO isn't working right for some reason or your chip may have simply degraded that much during its "easy 5GHz" stint if it still hits 100C at stock under heavy loads.

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
Those temps are dangerous! Since you have already reapplied thermal paste we can eliminate that being the issue. Do you have access to another cooler, even a stock intel cooler? I would recommend testing with another cooler to see if the problem is your AIO.

NEVER replace fluid in an AIO.

you compromise the quality of it and risk leaking(which leads to killed components)

but yeah temps that high are a serious concern.

off top of my head i'd say a faulty pump in your AIO or possibly the CPU and AIO might be loose and not making good contact.
and (not very common) tubing could kink restricting waterflow.

you should feel vibration on pump/tubing if they are working (since pump is a moving part and movign water it casues vibration)

TBH if possible i'd try to connect the AIO to another system after gettign tis normal temps and then check if its running hotter or cooler than normal. (family, friends, etc)
thats the #1 way to know if its an issue with the AIO itself.

InvalidError

Titan
If there is any sort of physical separation between the FET die(s) and wherever the temperature is being sensed from, the FETs' temperature can be much higher than reported and may be damaging the motherboard.

It is also possible that high temperature from overclocking with inadequate cooling ("100C constantly" which I am interpreting as meaning even at idle prior to re-applying paste) has increased your CPU's leakage, reducing your sustainable overclock and increasing the CPU's power draw.

NSJoker

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

Nope, I only have this H115i. The i7 7700k doesn't come with a stock cooler.

NSJoker

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

The pump seems fine I think. I put my fingers on the block to see if it's vibrating or anything and it's not. I also felt the tube, I feel the water flowing through it with slight vibration and the tubes are warm.

In Corsair iCUE I have the fans and pump set to extreme (1440 RPM on fans and 3100-ish RPM on the pump and it shows the temp is 30c, idk what that temp is for). The pump is mounted fairly tightly. I made sure to screw it in evenly last time I reapplied the thermal compound.

There's no kink in the tube, here's a picture: https://i.imgur.com/s3eGkaP.jpg

I don't really have another PC that I can use this pump on, and I don't have any friends. My family uses laptops so I can't do that either.

NSJoker

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

I don't know what a FET die or FET is.

I haven't ran any long-term high overclocks on this CPU. When I got it I wanted to push it to 5GHz but after running it at 5GHz for a bit I switched it to 4.5GHz and ran that for long-term with no problems, good temps, no crashes or anything.

In the past few months I've noticed my room get hot after leaving my PC running all day (which I've always done, but I turn it off every night before I go to bed). I checked my temps and they were pretty high, so I dusted out my PC (which I do every couple months) and re-applied thermal compound hoping it would help, and it just made it worse, I found out I was applying the thermal compound wrong (I was spreading it out and it had air gaps everywhere) so I cleaned it off again and re-applied it with the pea method, and it helped, but they were still high, so I took out the AIO and fans, moved it from pull to push, and cleaned the fans and the radiator extra good, then re-mounted the radiator and fans then cleaned the old thermal compound and re-applied it with the pea method again.The temps improved again a bit, but they are still high. I lowered the overclock to 4.4GHz (which is barely an overclock) because I've gotten to the point where I don't even care about the clock right now, I just want it to idle at 40c max and while gaming not reach 100c, which I've barely managed.

Here's a screenshot of Corsair Link showing temps: https://i.imgur.com/bWyoCit.jpg
Temp #5 on the motherboard (which shows 0.0c) always shows 0 during normal usage and 127 while stress testing. 127 is a scary temperature and I've never seen a computer get that hot before, I'm sure it's very bad for the motherboard. I looked up what temp #5 is and I think it's some kind of vcore regulator or something.

NSJoker

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
I'd also like to mention how I have my pump set up... there's a lot of wires coming from the pump.

Triple wire fan header from the pump to AIO_PUMP on the motherboard

Two wire fan header from the pump to CHA_FAN1 on the motherboard (I just noticed there's also a H_AMP_FAN plugin above AIO_PUMP plugin on the motherboard beside the CPU, should I use that instead of CHA_FAN1?)

wire from pump to a SATA power cable

wire from pump with two 4-pin fan headers which has 2 3-pin fan headers plugged in for the radiator fans

Removable Corsair Link cable at the bottom of the pump plugged into the motherboard, I think some USB header which is at the bottom of the motherboard.

InvalidError

Titan

Sensors that only display extreme values with little in-between are usually either not present or defective - 0C is an impossible temperature unless room temperature is below freezing or you are using some form of below-ambient cooling like LN2 or phase-change chiller with an anti-freeze liquid loop.

Since you re-installed your AiO and still get higher temperatures than you'd like, either the CPU block still isn't making proper contact with the CPU, the AiO isn't working right for some reason or your chip may have simply degraded that much during its "easy 5GHz" stint if it still hits 100C at stock under heavy loads.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS