Question High Temps 9700K@5ghz

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Hi,

I am having a hard time with CPU temps when OC 9700k@5ghz 1.32v. Most cores' temps reaches +85c after few minutes of stress testing.

Most people are having much less temps with higher volts.

I have a Corsair Hydro liquid cooler (not sure which model).

Screen shots of AIDA64 stats after few minutes of stress testing.

pq0Sfv.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How big is the radiator. The size of 1 fan, 2 fans or 3. Does it look very thick and have a fan on each side or kinda only as thick as the fan it's attached to.

As far as Aida goes, looks normal, no red flags. Just looks like you have a cooler that's insufficient for the job, like a H55 or H60 which are thin, single rads and almost identical in performance to a 140w CM hyper212 evo, on a cpu that at that OC can hit close to 200w

What is the make/model of your case?
Make/model of the cooler?
What is your idle temperature?
If the pump is mounted well, I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Where is the aio radiator located?
Any cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to do it's job.
If you take the case covers off, does that help?

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
How big is the radiator. The size of 1 fan, 2 fans or 3. Does it look very thick and have a fan on each side or kinda only as thick as the fan it's attached to.

As far as Aida goes, looks normal, no red flags. Just looks like you have a cooler that's insufficient for the job, like a H55 or H60 which are thin, single rads and almost identical in performance to a 140w CM hyper212 evo, on a cpu that at that OC can hit close to 200w
If i'm not mistaken it is hydro 100i with 2 fans. Could the dust be the reason behind the high temps?

Jn2BCx.jpg

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
What is the make/model of your case?
Make/model of the cooler?
What is your idle temperature?
If the pump is mounted well, I would expect to see 10-15c. over ambient at idle.
Where is the aio radiator located?
Any cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to do it's job.
If you take the case covers off, does that help?
1- Corsair 780t
2- Most probably Hydro 100i
Jn2BCx.jpg

3- Screenshot of temps at idle
gPg5MW.jpg

4- Top of the case
R4Q7Fh.jpg

5- Corsair 780t has pretty good airflow
6- Haven't tried removing the case cover yet tbh, but i will give it a shot

Your setup looks good.
Two front intakes, rear exhaust, aio radiator taking in air from inside the case.
In theory, having the radiator mounted in front taking in air from the front is best for cpu cooling.
But, the trade off is that the motherboard and graphics card gets hotter air.
Catch 22 when mounting an aio.
I see no real problem. Since the max is never at 100c, you are not throttling.

What is the objective of a stress test?
various apps are designed to generate heat to test stability.
There are others which may be more realistic of what you will do.
Perhaps OCCT, cinebench, or even the simple cpu-Z stress test.

One thing you could try is overclocking with the Intel performance maximizer ap:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

All, in all, I think you are good and would not worry about it.

FWIW:
As of 2/6/2019
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane Vcore in the 1.337 to 1.375 range.
And AVX offset = 2.

I7-9700K

5.2 10%
5.1 35%
5.0 78%
4.9 100%

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Your setup looks good.
Two front intakes, rear exhaust, aio radiator taking in air from inside the case.
In theory, having the radiator mounted in front taking in air from the front is best for cpu cooling.

One thing you could try is overclocking with the Intel performance maximizer ap:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

FWIW:
As of 2/6/2019
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane Vcore in the 1.337 to 1.375 range.
And AVX offset = 2.

I7-9700K

5.2 10%
5.1 35%
5.0 78%
4.9 100%
temps have been much better after removing the top case cover and cleaning the dusty radiator.

VcNYcU.jpg

I'm pretty sure it will be stable after stress testing it for 15 mins based on those temps. Hopefully it will pass +4 hrs test and then I will try getting a stable 5.1-5.2.

I've heard about about OCCT and will try it for sure. I'm just a gamer who is trying to get the best of his pc. Do u recommend going for 5.1-5.2 or it doesn't make a difference in gaming?

Thank you!

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Your setup looks good.

FWIW:
As of 2/6/2019
And AVX offset = 2.

I7-9700K

5.2 10%
5.1 35%
5.0 78%
4.9 100%
my 9700k@5ghz 1.35 have passed +10 hrs aida64, cinebench and gaming for +8 hrs but it always crashes on OCCT within few minutes. Is it considered as a stable OC?

Increasing volt to 1.37 and 1.38 didn't work as well.

If you can game with no problems, I would be inclined to not worry.
Even if not 100% stable in all loads, a crash sounds like it is not disastrous.
Occt may be using instructions that are not common to your workload.
I am thinking in particular of AVX instructions which are very intense.
You might try in your oc bios setup a avx offset of 2 so that when such instructions are present, your multiplier will be reduced by 2.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Crashes or quits? Occt has an 80°C default shutdown, so bumping voltages up is actually worse.

Occt uses linpack. That's an extreme usage cpu/ram mixture, similar to using AVX technologies. That can artificially drive temps and cpu usage well above normal baselines.

Personally, for stability only I use Asus RealBench, as the name implies it uses real world used programs in all their standard pc abuse algorithms to beat up on any combination of components. I ignore temps and stability, they are seperate things.

For temps, Prime95 small fft with AVX technology disabled. That's a 100% cpu load that's as stable as it gets, very little ram usage. Aida64 and Occt and Intel Extreme Burn use variable cpu/ram amounts, so who knows exactly what the temp is at any given moment as it changes.

For ram, memtest86. If it can survive 24hrs of error free abuse, it can survive almost anything. Not to say different software can't pull an error, but software is software and can/will pull errors eventually.

Never used Cinebench, that was more of a benchmark program, although C.20 seems to be gaining in popularity as an alternative to RealBench.

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
If you can game with no problems, I would be inclined to not worry.
Even if not 100% stable in all loads, a crash sounds like it is not disastrous.
Occt may be using instructions that are not common to your workload.
I am thinking in particular of AVX instructions which are very intense.
You might try in your oc bios setup a avx offset of 2 so that when such instructions are present, your multiplier will be reduced by 2.
I think you're right. after changing avx offset from auto to 2, the OCCT stress test has passed 15 mins of stress testing without any errors or crashing while it used to crash within 3 mins before the changes. I will try +4 hrs OCCT test later today and hopefully it will pass it without any issues.

Thank you!

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
Crashes or quits? Occt has an 80°C default shutdown, so bumping voltages up is actually worse.

Occt uses linpack. That's an extreme usage cpu/ram mixture, similar to using AVX technologies. That can artificially drive temps and cpu usage well above normal baselines.

Personally, for stability only I use Asus RealBench, as the name implies it uses real world used programs in all their standard pc abuse algorithms to beat up on any combination of components. I ignore temps and stability, they are seperate things.

For temps, Prime95 small fft with AVX technology disabled. That's a 100% cpu load that's as stable as it gets, very little ram usage. Aida64 and Occt and Intel Extreme Burn use variable cpu/ram amounts, so who knows exactly what the temp is at any given moment as it changes.

For ram, memtest86. If it can survive 24hrs of error free abuse, it can survive almost anything. Not to say different software can't pull an error, but software is software and can/will pull errors eventually.

Never used Cinebench, that was more of a benchmark program, although C.20 seems to be gaining in popularity as an alternative to RealBench.
Crashed within 3 mins when AVX was on auto. After setting AVX to 2, I had no issues after 15 mins of stress testing but I will try +4 hrs later.

My previous settings have passed aida64, realbench , and gaming for long periods without any crashes (all +8 hrs).

As for the OCCT 80°C default shutdown, I don't think it exists tbh. My cpu max temp has reached 86°C and the test was running smoothly without any quits.

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
During 5.2ghz 1.38v OCCT test, temps on some cores were +90c (highest core temp was 97c) the OCCT stress test stopped automatically (I set it to 95c). I tried 1.375v and I noticed that the stress was freezing for 1-2 secs. same thing happened when I decided to go back to 5.1ghz 1.365v, OCCT time was slightly freezing during stress test.

Now I'm on 5ghz 1.35v and I noticed it became much better even though millisecond freezes happen rarely.

is that normal or could I damaged my CPU?

q8mans

Prominent
Apr 1, 2020
During 5.2ghz 1.38v OCCT test, temps on some cores were +90c (highest core temp was 97c) the OCCT stress test stopped automatically (I set it to 95c). I tried 1.375v and I noticed that the stress was freezing for 1-2 secs. same thing happened when I decided to go back to 5.1ghz 1.365v, OCCT time was slightly freezing during stress test.

Now I'm on 5ghz 1.35v and I noticed it became much better even though millisecond freezes happen rarely.

is that normal or could I damaged my CPU?
is it a normal thing because of full load specially on OCCT?