Question High temps after double repaste

snipester90

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
So i've recently decided to repaste my laptop (approaching on 1 year old and on factory paste), a Lenovo Legion 5 (Core i7-10750h, RTX 3050 Ti). I've chosen the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme for the job.

All went well, however after the first repaste temps looked much higher! BF2042 pushed CPU temps up to 98-99 degrees, approaching thermal throttling. So i assumed i used too much paste (i feared that from the start).

Trouble is, after the second repaste temps don't seem that much better (hitting 94-95 max, and staying around 80-85 most of the time, whilst the GPU revolves around the 70-80s), even though this time i spread the paste with their included applicator to make sure everything is well and covered without too much paste.

I can't figure out what the issue could be, any thoughts?

P.S. before the repaste temps RARELY reached 90 degrees max

snipester90

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
Could you include an image of how much thermal paste you'd applied onto the CPU...? Also, did you reapply the paste atop the CPU alone, correct?

I'd have to open up the laptop again to take a picture, but i tried to spread as thin a layer as possible the second time around (as per the instructions included in the thermal paste packaging), and yes, i applied paste ONLY on the CPU and GPU, not on the heat sink.

Lutfij

Titan
i applied paste ONLY on the CPU and GPU, not on the heat sink.
You didn't tamper with the thermal pads, correct?

I'd give it a day or two and see if the thermal paste has a break in period. Latest BIOS version on your laptop? Have you tried using ThrottleStop to undervolt your processor?

snipester90

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
i applied paste ONLY on the CPU and GPU, not on the heat sink.
You didn't tamper with the thermal pads, correct?

I'd give it a day or two and see if the thermal paste has a break in period. Latest BIOS version on your laptop? Have you tried using ThrottleStop to undervolt your processor?

No, i didn't touch the thermal pads.

Do thermal paste have break in periods? I've never heard of this before.

Quick update, last night while gaming temps topped out at 90 for the CPU and 70 for the GPU. Maybe you're onto something...

snipester90

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
UPDATE

Temps reached 98 degrees again. At this point I can't figure out what the issue could be. I repasted the thing twice, once putting too much paste and the second time putting just the bare minimum, in both cases it doesn't seem like it made a difference.

I have not touched the thermal pads. I have cleaned the fans, which seem to be working overtime now.

All I can think of is that i got a bad batch of thermal paste. I will be repasting with a different product (Gelid GC) and come back with results.

Last edited:

snipester90

Reputable
Jan 26, 2019
UPDATE 2

I've done a third repaste. Temps still hit high 97 degrees. A test in AIDA64 shows some thermal throttling. At this point i'm at a loss of words, i don't understand what the issue can be, but something is definitely not doing its job as intended.

Any thoughts?